Dark areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark areas

Hi everyone. I kinda like this shot because I took it at quite an unusual position at ZRH. However, I guess I underexposed it a bit much which resulted in some really dark shadows underneath the plane. My editing skills aren't the best, and most of all I don't really find a way to lighten up all the dark areas. Even so, I think this one can be saved.

Here's the original:
    http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?ph...e=0&view=image

And this is my attempt at it:
    http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?ph...e=0&view=image

Please feel free to have a go at it if you want to. Thanks in advance for your help!

- Gianluca

Problem is you have managed to birghten it up, but in doing so you've lost much of the contrast. If you now add contrast your going to blow out the white areas on the photo. Tricky.

By the way i know where that position is AF backtracks to the parking positions to the left side of the viewing terrace right, taken just after a 180 turn?

Comment

So Dan, How do we obtain some contrast without adding too much upon adding brightness to the photo?
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
        By the way i know where that position is AF backtracks to the parking positions to the left side of the viewing terrace right, taken just after a 180 turn?
        Yes, exactly As said, it's not the usual spot to take pictures at, but probably also not the best one as you will often get top-lit shots causing large shadows.

I think John wouldn't mind either if some genius around here took a shot at the original, right?

Comment

Well the sun was pretty much high over you, causing those shadows ?

I wouldnt mind, No! I would like to see a better result. *Not saying yours arent*
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

A quick go...

Resize
            Curves Input :100 Output: 155
            Saturation +3
            Shadow/Highlight +10 Shadows
            USM 50% 0.2 0

Comment

I don't know, these shadwos actually still look pretty dark to me. I know there's a method to lighten them up with a paintbrush or something, well described on E-Diddy's website. I just can't do it, maybe someone else knows what's the trick there... Help please!

Comment

If you do this you get a digital manipulation rejection. It was bright sunny day, so the shadowws have a hard contrast. What is worng with that ? The plane is properly exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                  If you do this you get a digital manipulation rejection. It was bright sunny day, so the shadowws have a hard contrast. What is worng with that ? The plane is properly exposed.
                  Why would that lead to a digital manipulation rejection??
                  Well ok, if you're telling me everything looks just fine I'll upload right away. Thanks!

Comment

The original is way under exposed i was mearly showing it is possibly to rescue it to a certain extent. And Stefan is right you say the sun was high so the shadows will be harsh, dont try and alter a photo to that extent or you will get the manipulation rejection.

Comment

Originally posted by magic48
                      Why would that lead to a digital manipulation rejection??
                      Well ok, if you're telling me everything looks just fine I'll upload right away. Thanks!
                      I meant that eiditng the pic to level Dan did, and given proper sharpening and noise reduction, it stands a pretty good chance to make it into the databse. If you go alter the shadows it will be seen, and you get it rejected for digital manipulation, as this is way beyoond "normal" photoediting that is meant to enahcne the quality of the original shot, as it would alter the pic.

Comment

Working...
                      X