Object too far away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Object too far away

Probably a silly question but - why is this ok but this is too far away?

Take care,
    Brad

My guess is the rejected photo gains nothing by not being closely cropped where as the helicopter photo gains a lot by not being cropped closely. The first photo show something (the water) that is directly affected by the helicopter where the second does not.
    Wayne Dippold

Comment

Brad,

The motive for the Helicopter Photo was to show the Copter, and the downwash created by the helicopter. To do this it had to be cropped in that fashion to show to overall effect. This was even alluded to in the Photgraphers comments.

Different case for the plane though. They are two totally different pics.

Steve Brown

Comment

The Southwest is showing 3/4ths of a leaning hotel, not exactly exciting. Probably works if you have the plane in the centre of the hotel and your also showing the rest of it.

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks for the response. Of course I know the Helicopter picture if MUCH more pleasing to look at then the Airplane (which was a pic I took). That was not really my point but I didn't elaborate much. Photography is an 'Art' after all and I'm still trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not. Something may be pleasing to my eye but not to others and that's ok. By the way, the hotel is not leaning. It's square on a grid although it does appear to be leaning - but that's another discussion. Thanks again for all of your time.

Take care,
          Brad

Comment

Originally posted by SkyNevada
            Hey all,
            Photography is an 'Art' after all and I'm still trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not. Something may be pleasing to my eye but not to others and that's ok..
            I like your picture Brad.

One of the things I had to do was go through my pictures twice. Once for the way I perfer them like you have done with this shot. Then I go back through and see if any of them can be cropped for the DB here and there.

This plane incoming to Nellis wouldn't look as nice to my eye if I had only the plane in the background.

This one to me gives the feeling of the plane moving from right to left. Cropping and centering takes so much away. IMHO

I like your layout, every shot shouldn't be all airplane dead center. That's what makes a shot boring to me. But what I figured out is, you either play by their rules, or you don't play their game

Comment

Dave, I would crop the photo even a bit more, to keep the aicraft more on top left. But you hit the nail on the head. Sometimes, centering the subject will ruin the shot.

Gerardo
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

More examples I don't understand.

Ok, my son really liked this photo so I decided to give it a go (althought I was already told once before it wouldn't make it) - it got rejected. I can live with 'grain/noise' and am curious about 'bad info' because the unknown is not 'bad' - it's just unknown. What I don't understand is why 'too far away/dead space'. It's like saying something is 'to close'.

Here's the link of mine for the next 7 days - 'Cloudy Landing'.

What makes clouds 'dead space'? Because it is not filled with activity makes it 'dead'? What makes dark colors less appealing then brilliant hues?

No offense to the photogs (they're all AWESOME pix to me!) but here are some comparisons that are in the db showing aircraft roughly the same size and distance as the one I offered.

1.) TACA
                2.) In & Out 747
                3.) Sun & Plane
                4.) Eerie Sunset
                5.) Plane or Train the Subject?
                6.) Orange Sunset
                7.) Totally Awesome Unknown
                8.) Bad Motive/Not Really!
                9.) Boats or Plane?
                10.) Vortex Clouds

Alright - that was fun. I don't really expect any responses, I guess I just needed to vent. I like my picture and that's all that matters. Thanks for listening...have a good one.
                Last edited by SkyNevada; 2006-06-16, 23:19. Reason: Fix Linx

Take care,
                Brad

Comment

Although you don't want to cause offense I really do hate it when people compare shots to other photographers. I'd say the 10 you have shown are all intresting subjets especially the sunsets etc... On your shot i'd say you see them sort of clouds each day so really it's not a very intresting shot from what you are trying to show.

Just my opinion...

Comment

Hi Sam,

I would certainly hope that I don't offend anybody - I did state that I thought each one of them was totally awesome. I hate to compare too but by the samples I offered, it's clear the 'object too far away' rule does not always apply. It's ok to be too far away if the background is found to be appealing to the judge. The photo could have been rejected without using that rule.

If we don't compare things, then any object judged is potentially the worst or the best. There would be no standard and it is painfully obvious my photo is below par to the average observer. But possibly not because the object is too small - as you say it is not very interesting - reduced to a common daily experience. If that is so, then why are there many colorful sunset photos with aircraft in them. To me, that evidence shows that colorful sunsets are more of a daily occurance as there are fewer photos showing a wall of dark clouds, a lonely fence and an object that is too far away.

On that note, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada - in the middle of the Mojave Desert - it is rarely cloudy here like in the photo I offered. I found it interesting or I wouldn't have bothered to snap the photo much less submit it.

But, you are right - we all have our own opinions. However, not all of us can be screeners. That said - those are the people I would hope I never offend. They have been very kind to me and my humble camera.

'Life's a dance you learn as you go...'

Take care,
                    Brad

Comment

On that note, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada - in the middle of the Mojave Desert it is rarely cloudy here like in the photo I offered. I found it interesting or I wouldn't have bothered to snap the photo much less submit it.
                      And I live in Manchester, UK and it's rare we get sun

On a serious note - I don't know much but it was just my opinion. Wait for a screener to properly explain it

Comment

I dont know, maybe its just me, but the Vortex image # 10 isnt really appealing to me.
                        Im not criticizing the photo though. So thumbs up Erws !
                        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I can live with 'grain/noise' and am curious about 'bad info' because the unknown is not 'bad' - it's just unknown. What I don't understand is why 'too far away/dead space'. It's like saying something is 'to close'.
                          You list the Airline as America West but type unknown, yet with a registration of KLAS. I think if you had kept airline as unknown, you might have made it. However the plane is too far away, the clouds, while interesting to you, don't justify allowing the photo into the db. That being said, if you like it, keep it for your personal collection, we all have shots we like, but for some reason don't work on this site. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                            That being said, if you like it, keep it for your personal collection
                            Are you kidding!?!?!?! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! If it's not good enough for JP.net db then I don't want any part of it. I'm disgusted with myself and am ashamed - I'll never look at that miserable, worthless picture again. In fact, I'm going to throw it away right now! And, I'm going to turn the speakers up real loud when I empty the trash.

Whoa - who was that guy? I hope he doesn't come back. I should really put my computer on password lock.

Take care,
                            Brad

Comment

Are you kidding!?!?!?! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! If it's not good enough for JP.net db then I don't want any part of it. I'm disgusted with myself and am ashamed - I'll never look at that miserable, worthless picture again. In fact, I'm going to throw it away right now! And, I'm going to turn the speakers up real loud when I empty the trash.

Whoa - who was that guy? I hope he doesn't come back. I should really put my computer on password lock.

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X