Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop "save as"

Hi All

which setting do i need to save my shots as is it "Baseline,Baseline Optimised or Progressive"

Thx
    Alan

Quoting the Adobe help text
    Select Baseline ("Standard") to use a format recognized by most Web browsers, Baseline Optimized for optimized color and a slightly smaller file size, or Progressive to display a series of increasingly detailed scans (you specify how many) as the image downloads. Baseline Optimized and Progressive JPEG images are not supported by all Web browsers.
    So out of that, use Baseline. You will see progressive images on some sites where the image looks like it is fading in layer by layer (how ever many you define at the point of saving), baseline saved images just start at the top and load down.

Jid.
    Last edited by jid; 2006-06-13, 07:40.

Comment

Thx Jid your as helpful as ever

Comment

Baseline Optimized and Progressive JPEG images are not supported by all Web browsers.
        What exactly does it mean that its not supported by all web browsers.. ??
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

This simply means, that some browsers will simply not show such pics, that's it. IIRC, an earlier version of Netspcape didn't show Progressive JPGs, for example.

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just discovered I have been saving my images using progressive, rather than baseline standard. I also noticed that when selecting baseline standard as the saving option, the file size that is saved is larger than when using progressive.

I'm honestly not sure how long ago the saving option accidently switched, but is there a quality difference between the two?

I have just finished editing a series of shots from a spotting trip to Zurich, all of which were saved using progressive, rather than standard baseline. Would it be advisable to dit all the shots again, ensuring baseline standard is used?

Dave

Comment

If you saved with "progressive" you can delete all your photos and start again. The quality is miserable ....

seriously: I don't know, if there is any quality difference between the two options at all.

Comment

Thanks Gerado!

To be honest I wasn't too happy with my edits so at least this gives me a second chance to work of those Zurich edits and perhaps further refine my editing

The progressive option seems to always save a slightly smaller size than baseline standard which can't be a good thing. I've now corrected thigns so I'll see how the new edits turn out.

I will also take the opportunity to try some 1400x pics in the queue.

Dave

Comment

1400px ... Zurich shots .... I did mention the all new "bad touching a screeners turf" rejection reason, didn't I?

Comment

You don't have anything to worry about My shot quality will be no where near yours. Would love to return in winter to get some further shooting done!

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                      I did mention the all new "bad touching a screeners turf" rejection reason, didn't I?
                      Aaaah shit. That's me screwed on Jids patch at MAN then! Maybe I need to bribe him with alcohol as well. People say photography's an expensive hobby, and it is, but it has nothing to do with buying cameras and lenses!

Paul
                      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Paul, these are just high maintenance costs!! Cameras and lenses are a good investment, because until then we can keep saying, that you upload bullshit quality due to your poor equipment!

Comment

Working...
                        X