Dissapointed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissapointed...

Last Sunday, I visited the airport to snap some shots, some rare shots that I was very happy of getting to share with the Jp.net community, particularlly the Boeing 767-400ER in Costa Rica and the Iberia A340-600 landing on RWY25. When I woke up today, I find that 13 out of 19 shots sent were rejected, and most of those 13 ones that I was really excited of getting them into Jp.net. If you see them, most of you will agree they are a bit overexposed and a tad oversharpened but simply that's not the point. I remember when I started spotting back in 2003 how everybody would remark Jp.net as the "Photographer Friendly" website which was wonderful, because Jp.net was between the good and bad level. I have over 2 years of spotting, and I spot with a a DSLR for almost a year now but I just think the standards of Jp.net have gotten too high and I think it should be important for Jp to have a higher acceptance ratio than it does now. I am seeing 54.12% of acceptance ratio, in which 4,244 shots were accepted and 3,598 were rejected. The ammount of rejected shots is very close to the ammount of accepted shots, which is not that good in my opinion. I don't know what these rejects are and I do agree that probably many are terrible but many of these are just silly.

My point is that sometimes you really make an effort to take some shots and edit them really hard to get them into Jp.net for then a screener to click a few buttons and reject them for overexposed or oversharpened. I know I will probably get my head cut off for just bringing this up, but I am just very dissapointed to see most of my shots and not only me, my friends as well getting rejected even more and more.

Some of the photos:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032211
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032223
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032192
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032127
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032141
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032152
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032039

Thanks for your attention.,
    Tomas.
    Last edited by tomas_cubero; 2006-06-19, 19:02.

I think an admin or a senior screener will give you a more in depth replay later, but let me just point out, that those rejections were only caused by poor editing in case of most shots.

I see you use a DSLR and Photoshop, then I must say, I don´t understand why you are uploading shots with huge jaggies from oversharpening or shots where all vertical structures lean to one side.
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

I know a few people that have had rejections that they don't agree with. I'd say the jaggies are quite distracting in your shots and in my opinion I don't think many of them are overexposed, But I suppose JP have to have standards. Also I prefer to have rejections because they make me improve. If im getting tonnes of acceptions then im not going to improve.

Just try re-editing them and put them in the pre-screening forum, im sure the screeners will be glad to help you out whether you've been a photographer for a month or 10 years

Comment

Im dissapointed to see them rejected, Tomas, But I understand one of them got rejected for Horizen Unlevel such as this one:

Cubana de Aviación » Yakovlev Yak-42D *Check the light pole just under the nose. Its
        leaning badly to the right. Can be corrected.

TACA International Airlines » Airbus A320-233 *Your sensor is dirty, and quite some of them are visible, Again it can be corrected. But nonetheless nicely panned image. Hang on there, Tomas !

I dissagree though that you got your Iberian 346 rejected. Those were neat photos.

The other photos is reasonable enough though. The Tight cropped Con 767 and the oversharpened Learjet and that Taca A320. Im sorry to say this but those are the rules. A set of standard that JP must have.

Great effort Tomas. Like I have said before to some members too, Hand on there mate !
        Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-06-19, 19:23.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
          I dissagree though that you got your Iberian 346 rejected. Those were neat photos.
          In my opinion I like the 1st Iberia, but the second one has jaggies all over.

Comment

I think that with the right sharpening most if not all of those shots are easily fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
              In my opinion I like the 1st Iberia, but the second one has jaggies all over.
              Dont be that harsh, IMO Im not seeing it like screeners eyes but its only visible on the left wing, Like I said in my previous post, it can be corrected.

Comment

I think I screened most of these shots and the problem is as said above, the raw shots are fine its just the processing. If you take a little more care with your levels, sharpening technique and dust spot removal then most of your shots (except http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1032223) should make it. None of these rejections would of made it when I started screening well over a year ago.

Take the rejections as learning points which will help you produce better images in the future.

Good luck .. Jid

Comment

TBH
                  I would appeal the 2nd , 3rd , 4th , 6th & 7th shots

I reckon they stand a good chance.

Comment

I guess screeners have different opinions after all, Jid excepted that one which Will just said to Tomas should appeal that one with jaggies, unless Will was wrong with that second one which is the IB346 with jaggies.
                    Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-06-19, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                      Dont be that harsh, IMO Im not seeing it like screeners eyes but its only visible on the left wing, Like I said in my previous post, it can be corrected.
                      Im not being harsh, im being truthful. If I had a shot that I didn't understand I would want people to tell me the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                        Im not being harsh, im being truthful. If I had a shot that I didn't understand I would want people to tell me the truth.
                        Harsh wasnt really the word I wanted to use, but thats the only word I thought about when I read your comments. True enough, I believe in what you said. Jaggies all over. Thats your opinion and I respect that.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, this is a valuable lesson. I am off to the beach until Sunday, so when I come back I will have a go at them once again. I guess I was just feeling let down when I wrote the message, but I hope that most of them are fixable, they are really important shots for me. I hope to get some nice heli's down at Los Sueños .

Thanks to everybody!
                          Tomas.

Comment

Like people said there's nothing that can't be fixed by editing them again. They're good shots.

Comment

go easy on the sharpening and don't use the light poles as vertical reference...they can move about with the wind and aren't an accurate guide. try using a building of some description when levelling a shot.

next trips
                              USA/DXB August.

Comment

Working...
                              X