X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrast problem

Hi guys,

got this rejection : http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1040630

The pic looks good to me but the low/high? contrast seems to be a bit disturbing to the screener. I already adjusted the contrast manually but it was rejected again.
    Would be very welcomed if someone could help me. Here´s the original:

Cheers,
    Philipp

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Planepictures.net
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Airliners.net

There are quite a few things here:
    - the high sun is a killer. You won't get a decent contrast at this time of the day
    - F9 @ 1/800 -> underexposed photo -> more difficult to get it right.

That's one for the personal collection.

Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Looks like you've got a bit of heat haze in there aswell.

Comment

Philipp,

As the others alluded to, the high sun hasn't helped in the shot.

The main problem is the difference between the top of the plane and the bottom, where the dark red areas are black and show little detail at all. i.e. the contrast between the light and dark areas is too great.

You can see from the original pic that it looks like your camera has metered on the white of the fuselage and exposed for that area and totally underexposed the underside of the plane. I don't think your going to be able to save it especially at that speed.

Hope this helps

Steve Brown

Comment

Best solution : Wait a couple of hours later and then shoot the plane. Now I dont know the location of that spot, but I guess that's all I can guess that could solve the problem. Noh?
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Well, if you knowhow to use the curves feature in PS then there is still hope for the pic.

Comment

I don't think the exposure is such a problem - the heat haze is the real killer.

P.S. I have applied quite a lot of compression to this shot to keep the file size down.

Jid

Comment

My eyyyyyeeeeeeees ... !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerardo
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Tiz a bit over the top young Gerardo but with careful work (not like my 30 second job) I think it has a chance ... maybe

Comment

Thanks guys for your replys. I´m going to spend now some time editing the pic carefully...

Philipp

Comment

Ah. Now I get the contrast thing. I've always thought of "contrast" as the contrast between the aircraft and background!! I understand why I've just had a shed load of rejects of shots I took at Heathrow.

Comment

Errrr....A small problem came up when I tried to edit the shot again. Due to the use of the technical terms of PS, I have no idea how to start editing the pic.
                        I also don´t have the faintest idea with which features jid let the posted pic look this way. Can someone give me a short description?

Thanks alot,

Philipp

Comment

I've tried....and tried and tried, but it seems that the difference in exposure between the upper and lower fuselage is too much to overcome.

Do you ever shoot in RAW format ?

Selective retouching ( note...retouching at an acceptable level...not digital manipulation !! ) would probably be easier with a RAW image as a base to work from.

As I always say though, I'm new to didgital photography and could easily be wrong.

Discuss......folks, you'd be helping me too.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

OK, after levleling, cropping a re-sizing, you want to start adjusting the histogram. For that you create an adjustment layer for levels. Edit manually and see what looks best.
                            Then an adjustment layer of curves. You want an S-Curve that brightens the dark areas and slightly takes down the highlights from the bright. So you increase in the lower left and decrease in the upper right.
                            Then colors and contrast (careful there). Finaly sharpening as usual. The key is to work with the curves, that is where you can save the pic.

Comment

Working...
                            X