Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion please

Hi

Having recently acquired a full copy of Photoshop Cs2 (previously using Elements 2) I have been reworking some old images and was hoping for some feedback. I have been following “Jids Way” in principle and would like your comments on the following image in comparison with the previously uploaded version. . I used the Measure tool to get the horizon, previously using grid lines as Measure what not available. Also found that I had to tone down the suggested sharpening settings as it was clearly over the top for this particular image but I still feel there may be too many jaggies. What do feel about contrast, levels and colour tone etc and which version do you prefer?

Old version

[photoid=5727991]

reworked version

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by cja; 2006-07-16, 14:51.

The old one has no halos around the landing gear area, it is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
      I see what you mean, I am not sure what caused that they both had roughly the same USM treatment.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Most likely you used the shadow/highlight function, which easily causes this effect.

Comment

Stefan,

I did use the shadow highlight tool but I think only about 14% on the shadows which was clearly too much. I have been experimenting with it but I never seem to find the right balance to get a realistic looking result. There is obvioulsy more to learn here as many people seem to use this tool to good effect.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
            Well other than that the new version DOES look way better if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by cja
              Stefan,

I did use the shadow highlight tool but I think only about 14% on the shadows which was clearly too much. I have been experimenting with it but I never seem to find the right balance to get a realistic looking result. There is obvioulsy more to learn here as many people seem to use this tool to good effect.
              I personaly prefer to use an adjustment layer of curves, which allows you to achieve the same reuslts, but gives you more control and is not so likely to create halos.

Originally posted by magic48
              Well other than that the new version DOES look way better if you ask me!
              Depends on how you define better. The halos add an element to the pic that is a result of bad post processingm, while the old one show the scene as it was, just perhaps not perfectly edited. Imho that is better then creating strange effects in pp.

Comment

Thanks to both for replying so far.

Would you both say that this would be alright if the halos were removed? I am quite happy to start again on this and use curves as Stefan suggests but if you see other issues don’t be afraid to add them to the list. I do agree with Stefan's view that there is no point creating unusual effects.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, the halos on the gear do tend to make the photo look a bit... heavenly, but apart from that, its much better, and I much prefer the reworked version.

Comment

Just to put things into perspective, the re-worked one would have been rejected in screening with these big halos. And imho the original looks pretty fine, while the re-edit looks overprocessed. The old ones could use a bit of sharpening and a nice subtile curve, that brightens the dark areas under the plane just a bit, but not as much as in the re-edit.

Comment

Stefan,

Thanks for your advice, which I will follow and post the result this evening.

Comment

OK,

No Shadow Highlight tool just minor adjustments to curves. No halos that I can see. I think this is better than the previous reworked version but not a great improvement on the original, still a little soft, possibly under contrast too.

Comment

Working...
                        X