Help with a rejected shot please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a rejected shot please.

Hi all, this shot was rejected for oversharpened and noisy / bad grain, how can the noisy /bad grain problem be resolved in photoshop please ?

Many thanks
    Mac

You'll need to go back to the original and just go a little easier on the sharpening-although the oversharpening on it's own would probably not be enough for a rejection. When you use the sharpening tool use the marquee tool and draw around the aircraft, select that area and then only the plane gets sharpened leaving the sky free from noise hopefully.

Matt
    My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Alternatively....select the magic wand tool, click on the sky, go to Select...Inverse.

This will select the whole aircraft ( but be very certain that the selection area does not encroach into any part of the aircraft. This can happen when colour and tones on the aircraft are similar to the sky.)

You can now work on the aircraft without affecting the sky.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks

Advice noted with thanks, will try again !

Comment

Originally posted by egll
          the oversharpening on it's own would probably not be enough for a rejection.
          Interesting to read this because I would have thought the oversharpening is quite evident in this photo.

Another way to remove the grain in the sky is to create a new layer, select the sky as Brian says but without doing an inverse select, and applying a judicious amount of gaussian blur (around 1.5 pixels radius). This will also blur the aircraft outline and other detail such as the light poles in your photo, so you will have to go over these areas with the eraser tool to expose the original unsharpened layer. Then merge layers and you're done.

Comment

You could always use a external noise reduction tool like Neatimage (which is freeware I think) but go easy with it !

Comment

Take it easy on the sharpening. Some wicked halos around the fuselage.
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I have been sharpening images with the following settings:-

Amount = 50%
                Radius = 0.4px
                Threshold = 0

With about three or four passes of USM, is this too much ?

Regards
                Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Macca
                  I have been sharpening images with the following settings:-

Amount = 50%
                  Radius = 0.4px
                  Threshold = 0

With about three or four passes of USM, is this too much ?

Regards
                  Mac
                  O.4 is too high.

o.2 is more than enough.

Follow this link.

Should give you help enuogh to edit the photo.

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

What I do with the 300D is:

250% (varies sometimes), 0.2 Pixels, 0 Radius,

after doing the select inverse method, and then take the photo into neatimage and add sharpening if needed there while removing any noise if needed.

As said above, go easy on the neatimage, it can ruin photos if used incorrectly!

EastMidlands

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                      O.4 is too high.

o.2 is more than enough.

Follow this link.

Should give you help enuogh to edit the photo.

http://www.rockymountainavphotos.com...dworkflow.html
                      Thanks Maxpower, found some really useful tips on that link you posted nice one mate. Have a few shots in the q right now using a different techinque so hopefully things are looking up, i think the results are much better see below links:-

Arriving on runway 33 from Copenhagen.. LN-RDQ. Bombardier Dash 8-Q402. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Taxying for departure at KL.. VT-EVX. Airbus A310-308. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Mac

Comment

Working...
                      X