Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing Practice

Hi Folks,

Being a bit of a newbie around these parts, I'm constantly editing and re-editing the same photos, seeing what creates the best effects and what the limitations of photoshop are.

See below an image I've edited ... what things am I overlooking, should I be looking in greater detail etc. I've looked at the workflow tutorial for Jid ... VERY useful! Although any input from the experienced would help greatly.

Thanks!

Im no experet in PS, but looking at your photo I would say that it needs some more contrast. You should also play around with curves and shadow/highlight because it seems oddly dark on the belly of the A/C. It is also pretty soft starting at the nose and down the side.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Could the softness of the images be something to do with my suitably sub-par lens? I'm shooting with a Canon 300D attached to an EF 90-300 1:4.5-5.6 lens. Definetly nothing "L" about it! Suggestions I've had so far point toward either a 100-400L or 70-200 L 2.8.

Settings wise, I'm shooting ISO 100/200 at F9, anwhere between 1/160 and 1/500, dependant upon lighting.

Any more feedback most appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

I think I'd up the contrast first ( which has a side effect of slight sharpness increase ). Next, adjust the brightness and then be VERY sparing with shadow/ highlights tool to balance those areas. Sharpen in small steps. (50, 0.2, 0)

Be VERY careful with shadow/highlights. I've just started using PS CS2 and found that excessive/careless use of this tool introduced some horrendous graininess.

You say you're using Jid Webbs' workflow ? Excellent place to go but I believe he may be in the process of developing a new workflow which I also believe may not include the use of shadow/highlights, or, if it does, at a very low level.

I'm at work with no access to PS so can't download and work on your pic. One good tip when you find the need to rework an image is to start again from the original picture. If you try to rework your existing edit you'll get lost in a maze of errors which are virtually impossible to backtrack on.

Hope this helps a little.

Brian.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

It doesn't have much to do with your lens. The exposure on your photo is also a result of the light you had, i.e. crappy weather with a grey background won't help you much.

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Brian, Gerardo ... and yes ... the wx was the greatest that day!

It just seems to be a learning curve, and that there isn't one true workflow to follow, although some are very good.

Any other gems of info ... appreciated!

Comment

Im also on that learning curve, Rob and PS does take some getting use to? I've followed two workflows but they both differ in the techniques they use? Hopefully, Jid's new workflow will be just as helpful as the current one?

http://stu-doherty.fotopic.net

Comment

I really don't follow any set workflow, I just fix whatever needs to be fixed. I guess the trick then is learning how to fix it...

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

^^ Well you gotta start somewhere and Jid's or Eric's Workflow is what I consider an excellent way to start editing your image.
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've had another go at the photo below, bearing in mind the thoughts and suggestions passed on above.

The colors generally seem a little brighter and the image seems to have more depth to it, probably aided by the increased contrast.

Is this more along the right lines ?

Thanks folks.

Comment

I haven't seen the original of the Ryanair but that looks good to me on the workplace flatscreen LCD monitor I'm currently on.

Good depth of field, contrast is just about bang on, good sharpness and good saturation. Any more fiddling with shadows/highlights would probably burn out the sky. It looks like you had a crap weather day so getting a pic accepted under those light conditions means you're well on the right lines. Even if this one doesn't get accepted its a major improvement on the Virgin shot.

Question for screeners ? Given a shot taken on a poor weather day, what do you like to see in order to accept it ? Sharpness, contrast and colour go without saying but is there something that is needed that maybe isn't so important on a bright, sunny shot ?

This is a good thread. It would be handy to keep it going as there's a lot of learning to be made here.

....oh, and I nearly forgot. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to apply corrections in ALL areas of a workflow. I recently had a pic accepted that only required a histogram adjustment, and contrast and brightness. Took me about 30 seconds to process.
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Totally agree Brian that it would be good to keep this thread going. The more info and tips i get, the better. I have used Jid's workflow and its the layers that do my head in. But like sluger says, i tend to just fix what needs fixing and try not to get to 'in depth' as i know i'll only balls it up and then have to start again!

http://stu-doherty.fotopic.net

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                          Jid's or Eric's Workflow is what I consider an excellent way to start editing your image.
                          Where can I find 'em? Just for info...

Comment

Originally posted by meneses24
                            Where can I find 'em? Just for info...
                            These are the links to Jids and Eric's workflows.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X