Advice on leveling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on leveling.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I used to grids in PS to level the picture with the buildings in the foreground (surrounded by yellow), but further in the background, the buildings have a very obvious slope (the worst of which is surrounded by red). The building with the yellow/red line seems to be more slanted towards the right as well.

Any advice/help would be much appriciated. thanks.

I would try levelling it with the electrical tower in the background as a levelling reference.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

Needs ccw rotation. Lining up with short lengths of often fuzzy background verticals can be tricky. A little rotation either way often makes no perceptible difference to the alignment with the vertical, yet it makes a huge difference to the photo.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been playing with it, and while it looks better I'm still not hapy with it.

It'll get there .. maybe

Comment

Well, it is good practice when leveling a picture to look at clear vertical lines in the picture, like buildings or control towers. As verticals will always be vertical no matter what angle you took the picture from (unless you used an extreme wide angle lens like 20mm or less).

I used the measure tool in PS to look at the vertical lines from the two buildings in the foreground and they seem completely vertical which means that this picture does not need any CW or CCW rotation.

But I agree with kukkudrill that the picture needs a little ccw rotation to look right.

Roel.

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel
            As verticals will always be vertical no matter what angle you took the picture from (unless you used an extreme wide angle lens like 20mm or less).
            Actually not always. If the camera is angled downward, verticals to the sides of the picture will take on an apparent outward slant, like the pole in the photo below. It is a matter of perspective and it will happen even if there is no lens distortion.

[photoid=466503]
            It's not a common problem but worth keeping in mind all the same.

Comment

Working...
            X