Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the sky looks some kind of noisy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the sky looks some kind of noisy?

Hello at all,

when looking to my current Corfu pics here on j.net I noticed that the sky on some pics looks noisy.
    Itīs hard to describe but it looks more or less that there are "steps" on.

Here a sample pic:
    On short finals for rwy 35. Canon EOS 350D + Canon EF 75-300mm III USM. G-JMCD. Boeing 757-25F. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

BTW: When editing the pics I donīt sharpend the sky though...

Any ideas?
    Philipp

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Planepictures.net
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Airliners.net

I'd say it looks abit underexposed and unlevel but not noise

Comment

I do see some niose in the sky because it's all a solid color. I get that with mine sometimes. I usually use the blur brush in Photoshop to smooth it out.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
        I'd say it looks abit underexposed and unlevel but not noise
        Yes the underexposure is the problem......
        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Hi Philipp,

It does look a bit underexposed to me also, I am not using my "screening" screen though. I also use a 350D and have found noise to be more evident on dark/under shots even at ISO 100. Having said that I am not convinced that the sky in the pic above is actually showing noise, it looks slightly "blocky" from compression IMHO.

Regards
          Mark

Comment

Yes I agree that's jpeg compression. It's noticeable on some monitors more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by kukkudrill
              Yes I agree that's jpeg compression. It's noticeable on some monitors more than others.
              Thanks for your replys.
              Yes, I also noticed that it depends on the screens. On the one I use, you see this "blocks" very clear.

Do you believe, it would help when I pay some much attention on the histogramms?

Philipp

P.S. Why is it actually neccesary, that JP has such an high compression. "The other site" has a almost no compression...

Comment

It would be interesting to see the unprocessed original.

The LCD screen on the work Dell that I am on at the moment definitely shows a dark "mottling" above the horizon and below the upper edge of the pic, with an almost pinkish mottle through the middle area of the sky. I too thought it was .jpg compression effect and have had a similar problem myself in the past.

I've used several methods to get around it including the blur tool and lightening of the sky using both brightness and shadow/highlight tool. You've got to be VERY careful with the shadow/highlight tool to avoid creating a halo around adjoining edges.

Like I say, could we see the original ?
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by phtr88
                  P.S. Why is it actually neccesary, that JP has such an high compression. "The other site" has a almost no compression...

You might want to check first ....

Same photo here (347.71 KB):http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5785544

and on A.net (242.01 KB): http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1097938/L/

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Do you believe, it would help when I pay some much attention on the histogramms?
                    I don't think exposure affects the visibility of "blotchiness" due to jpeg compression.

In the past I've tried to blur it away like Brian suggests but the result was to convert the random blotches into a wavy pattern almost like the contour lines on a map. Has this ever happened to anyone? Usually these days I simply make sure I avoid sharpening the sky and I leave it as is.

Comment

Another method I've used in the past is to create a background layer, run a workflow on that and then erase the sky thus exposing the original, untouched sky. At this point I might also erase any jaggies that may have appeared before flattening the image and finally saving.

One of the beauties of using PS CS2 is that you can download a RAW image plugin from Adobe which is compatible with most of the current crop of digital cameras and with which you can do a fair bit of work before ever getting anywhere near a .jpg conversion. I've found CS2 to be a very powerful tool with this facility and has without doubt contributed to a recent ratio improvement in pictures accepted.
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The original:

Philipp

Comment

Looks fine for an original...

Comment

Yes, underexposed but still virtually noise-free.

Comment

The original................
                              Why is the original only 776 KB?
                              My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Working...
                              X