Bad Composition / Bad framing - Aircraft not centered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Composition / Bad framing - Aircraft not centered

As a new comer I have lots of trouble understanding what screener(s)
    mean with this rejection. I understand that photography is not an exact
    science but browsing thru the current JP database I find ton loads of
    shots with the aircraft not centered or with a framing that I do not understand .... any pointers as what to do for instance with this one

The rejection was also for softness which is not a problem ...
    All help or comments appreciated ...
    Aero-Camera
    Taking photography to a higher level

There's too much dead space on the right side of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Robby
      As a new comer I have lots of trouble understanding what screener(s)
      mean with this rejection.
      I understand that photography is not an exact
      science but browsing thru the current JP database I find ton loads of
      shots with the aircraft not centered or with a framing that I do not understand .... any pointers as what to do for instance with this one
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1133945
      The rejection was also for softness which is not a problem ...
      All help or comments appreciated ...
      ^^There should be the same amount of space all around the fuselage, meaning same space over, under, right side and left side of the fuselage.
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I understand the concept of centering ... but dead space ??? Are hotel buildings, beaches, pooldecks and or cocnut trees then not considered dead space ??? If we are plane spotters I agree the aircraft should be the centerpiece .... but just looking at the pics of Sint Maarten I start to wonder ....
        Aero-Camera

Comment

^^ Center the aircraft. You got the dead space on your right side, that means you dont have equal space on your left side like your right side.. Center the airplane, Go on, I know you can do it !
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Robby,

If you want to do off centre shots of aircraft the motive of the shot also has to be taken into account. If the Motive of a shot is to show the plane going over the beach at SXM then the off centre nature of the shot works. If the shot is off centre and shows nothing that adds to the picture, then the shot won't work and it will get the Compos/Centre rejection. (as in your example above)

A shot of a plane doesn't have to be centred if there is a motive to show something else around the aircraft. It's up to the screeners to decide if the motive of the shot justifies the off centre composition by the photographer.

Also if your looking to achieve an off-centre shot, a note to the screener on the motive of the shot when uploading will help in the decision.

Hope this helps
            Steve Brown

Comment

Or a topless sheila anywhere in the frame will make any such reject reason impossible from this location

Rob if you do upload,have a look at reducing the saturation.
              Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2006-09-13, 05:43. Reason: spelling.......that was a right beauty.
              My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Thanks for a great explanation Steve ... seems I will have to follow Gregs advise
                and 'dress up' the beach shots with topless diva's .... although I do wonder what
                went wrong with this one where the motive was clear in the remarks .... again the
                saturation and sharpness technicalities are no problem ... but following the screeners
                decisions or strain of thoughts sometimes is a real puzzle for me ... check this one

There is no other pic with this view or angle because this may happen once a year that you can see this island from the PJIA .... Anyway I am learning with every new upload ! Thanks guys !!
                Aero-Camera

Comment

Even though it maybe only happen once a year, the Island seems too far away and I didn't even notice it untill I looked. So it just makes the photo looks uncentered to me. It' a cool photo though.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

The island in the background does seem too remote and 'distant'. (To be honest I didn't see it at my first viewing). It's really what the eye gets lead to. The first thing I see when I open the pic is the plane low in the frame and then I see the buildings in the background. The distant island just seemed to blend into the background and not be a part of the subject of the photo, which is the landing plane and buildings behind. If you take those elements into account, the composition is low.

From looking at it the whole composure seems low. You maybe could get the plane a little higher and make the island closer to the top of frame.

Regards
                    Steve Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Robby
                      Thanks for a great explanation Steve ... seems I will have to follow Gregs advise
                      and 'dress up' the beach shots with topless diva's .... although I do wonder what
                      went wrong with this one where the motive was clear in the remarks .... again the
                      saturation and sharpness technicalities are no problem ... but following the screeners
                      decisions or strain of thoughts sometimes is a real puzzle for me ... check this one
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1129880
                      There is no other pic with this view or angle because this may happen once a year that you can see this island from the PJIA .... Anyway I am learning with every new upload ! Thanks guys !!
                      This shot to me looks to low in the frame we are back to to much dead space above the aircraft nice shot tho

Comment

Well I followed Steve's and Greg's advise ........

No rejection on this one ......

[photoid=5818676] !

I will be back for more advise ...
                        Last edited by AJ; 2006-09-21, 05:27.
                        Aero-Camera

Comment

Working...
                        X