Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving EXIF data

Hi,

Somehow when I now convert a file from PSD to JPEG the EXIF data is no longer being saved to the JPEG. Does anyone know how to correct this? (Photoshop no longer gives me a normal JPEG option in the “save as” dailogue, only JPEG2000. To get a JPEG option I have to use “save for web”.)

Thanks

Last edited by cja; 2006-09-26, 22:25.

To save in jpeg 2000 you must have the plugin installed ...............disable it.
    By checking the ICC Profile box in the Save As page,should give you the option of jpeg(*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.jpe)

Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2006-09-26, 23:42. Reason: Add image.
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for the response.
      I have disabled jpeg2000 and am using the SRGB colour space but there is no .jpg option showing in save as. To get this option I have to use save for web and the file info is then not saved. I know this is a relatively minor point but I would like to upload the EXIF with my pictures.

Regards

Chris

Comment

Open an image in PS and then go to Image/Mode and advise what is checked in that box.
        RGB colour and 8Bits/Channel should be checked.

Comment

Greg,

RGB colour and 8 bit/channel are checked and nothing else.

cheers

Comment

Right....fair enough ..stuff PS.
            Start/Control Panel/Add remove programs.........................
            I'll have a think and/or await input from others.

Are these "RAW" images you are processing?
            Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2006-09-27, 13:13. Reason: Added question....last sentence.

Comment

Greg,
              yes these are RAW images converted to PSD then to JPEG. This used to work fine until a few weeks ago. (I only recently noticed that the EXIF data had not been saved on recent uploads.) My guess is that I need to find JPEG as a plug in and load it as with JPEG2000 but I am not sure where to find such a plug in. Otherwise perhaps its something to do with the data being saved as an XMP file. Think I will try to save an image using Canons raw converter and see if we get the same problem as this started about the time I started using Adobe to do this.

Thanks again.
              Last edited by cja; 2006-09-27, 14:14.

Comment

You seem to have it covered Chris.
                As with Pentax raw I need to save as PSD then jpeg or import as 8 bit.
                At the moment it seems like the jpeg 2000 plugin is the culprit..........completely uninstall it.
                Of course there can be other reasons you are losing Exif...........noise reduction for one.

Comment

Greg

I have just discovered that the "save for web" option in PS strips out the EXIF data which confirms that this, rather than the RAW conversion is the problem. I therfore somehow have to get ordinary JPEG back into the available file options in "save as". The only reason I put Jpeg2000 in there in the first place was beacuse .jpg was missing for some reason. When I then noticed that this would not give me the required .jpg extension and that the saved file was 4MB I knew it was time to "call Houston"!!!

Comment

There are only a couple of reasons jpeg is not available in the save as format menu.Image is 16 bit or a very large image.........way way over what we deal with.
                    Jpeg 2000 should save at much the same size file as jpeg.
                    If you are using the PS raw plugin check the 8 bit box in the lower left corner (I think) prior to importing and see what results you get ................................................or keep punching redial to Houston.

Comment

Greg,

I think you have just got there before me. I was just trying to see if I can convert a 16bit PSD as an 8bit PSD and then saving it as a JPEG. However as I cant so far find an option for this it looks like I need to start by making sure the conversion is to an 8bit image. If this doesnt work I'll let you know but I think we have cracked it.

(Why is it that some of the most basic requirements in software take such a big effort to discover??!!)

Thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

Chris

PS The reason for working in 16 bit was so I could save a larger copy for printing purposes.
                      Last edited by cja; 2006-09-27, 15:35. Reason: PS

Comment

I always convert Canon RAW files to 16bit photos. Before saving in PS to JPG, I convert to 8bit and RGB, as mentioned above. Then I can save as JPG. To make it easier, I created an action for this all.

Gerardo
                        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                          I always convert Canon RAW files to 16bit photos. Before saving in PS to JPG, I convert to 8bit and RGB, as mentioned above. Then I can save as JPG. To make it easier, I created an action for this all.

Gerardo
                          Gerado,

Thanks for that and I have just looked again and discovered how to convert from 16 to 8 bit PSD so that is the way I will do it from now on.

I guess this is fairly elementary stuff for seasoned PS users but speaking as a relative newbie to working in PS CS2 your patience is appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X