High Dynamic Range photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Dynamic Range photographs

I have been thinking about trying the High Dynamic Range technique (HDR) on aviation photography. Has anyone successfully submitted photographs onto the database using HDR?

HDR allows you to have the highlights and the shadows in a picture, which is a comprised of three photographs one at +2, one at 0 and one at -2EV.

Took these two this morning before I went to bed......

Don't be too critical these test shots don't feature any aircraft, they were taken to try out the technique.
    Wallace

I really like the first one - how you have got lots of detail in there.

How exactly does this work?

Cheers,
    Jay
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

Comment

I have no issue with HDR images as long as the image appears static and there is no visible movement in the shot.

I think HDR is a great addition to the digital photographer. This is my opinion and not a site policy, I can not recall it being discussed here before.

Jid

Comment

For everything but tripod mounted static shots HDR is not practical for aviation photography. And even then you rarely will find scenes that are so low on contrast as the examples. And it could be seen a a digital manipulation, but as Jid pointed out that has not be discussed yet.

That is what the upload guideline says :

Overprocessed
        This rejection may apply to photos which simply look overprocessed. This can be for example an improper use of noise removal programs up to the result of getting a plastic like look or smufgy edges. Also, halos caused by wrong sharpening settings or other wrong post processing settings, will result in a rejection.

Manipulation
        Any picture which has been significantly altered during the editing process will be rejected, this means adding things that were not originally in the picture or removing significant elements of the shot. Anybody found to be uploading fake pictures (or pictures that are not theirs) can expect to be permanently banned from the site.
        Last edited by seahawk; 2006-10-11, 12:52.
        My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
        My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
        ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

I'll try it then. All I need now is better weather conditions, today was dreich (Scots. Miserable and grey) beyond belief. Two photographs in the rain - monopole/camera in one hand and umbrella in the other.

HDR tries to emulate the higher range of film by using three (or more) images. In my case I used an image that was exposed at +2 stops (EV), 0 EV and -2 EV.
          Think of taking a picture in a cockpit, you have the deep shadows of the rudder pedals right to the over exposed cockpit glass. HDR comes close to curing this problem.
          Wallace

Comment

I've also dabbled with HDR, however I find it works best with 6+ images, then I apply them to one using masks. Here's some that I've done:
            http://rockymountainavphotos.com/sir...covemedium.jpg
            http://rockymountainavphotos.com/sir...earssunset.jpg

Comment

HDR progress

I have made some progress with the High Dynamic Range technique, almost to the point of making a submission to the database.
              I have to admit that there is something about the clouds and the contrast that I do not like but this may be down to the HDR itself.
              http://www.ukarimages.com/is.php?i=1..._HDR_01-ed.jpg

I deliberately shot into the sun to take the HDR to its limits.

For the record the main improvements - bought a Manfrotto tripod and discovered that there is more to changing the EV than altering the aperature. Strange as it may sound but I need to concentrate more on over-exposing images!

Critique?
              Wallace

Comment

Originally posted by wwshack
                I have made some progress with the High Dynamic Range technique, almost to the point of making a submission to the database.
                I have to admit that there is something about the clouds and the contrast that I do not like but this may be down to the HDR itself.

For the record the main improvements - bought a Manfrotto tripod and discovered that there is more to changing the EV than altering the aperature. Strange as it may sound but I need to concentrate more on over-exposing images!

Critique?
                If you're going to darken the clouds, you should probably darken all of them, rather than just the ones on the far right. also, try shooting more directly backlit when the sun is low, and have objects in either the fore or background with varying reflections (that is, the light is hitting them differently). Take 6-10 exposures each separated by 1 stop (I usually go from proper exposure of the darkest object to proper exposure of the brightest object), using only your shutter speed to vary the exposure. Then, in photoshop, simply use layer masks to layer the images on top of each other and bring out the best exposures for each object.

Comment

Originally posted by wwshack

Critique?

Will bring you a manipulation rejection because of the sky. Again the same problem ,as clouds do move in the sky. Even if is a very minor movement you will see it in the end. I tried it with a sundown shot. But even the unnotiveable amount the sun went down while I took the 6 pics gave the sky a blurry appearance.

Comment

For anyone that is interested, I got this article on HDR Photos and Tone Mapping in a news letter last month.

How to Create High Dynamic Range Images

Comment

Never considered the movement of the clouds with HDR before, oh joy another factor to consider.
                      I use cloud blur quite a lot when shooting near infra red (nIR), I really like what it does to clouds, especially in a windy day. This is an interesting shot in so much as the red and white checker board pattern on the fuselage of this Aerobat have almost disappeared.

This was a test image, (20 - 30 sec exposure @ f.8 ) mainly due to the fact that I can only use a "standard" 50mm lens with nIR, I get reflection problems with the 18-55mm EF-S lens.

I am beginning to like contrasty nIR monochromes, not every one's cup of tea.

I saw that article before although never quite got around to reading it all the way through. Thanks for posting the PopPhoto link.
                      Wallace

Comment

HRD is absolutley amazing, especially with night shots! Have not tried it yet on aviation shots...
                        greetings,
                        Philip

Comment

Night shots coukd work. You just make sure that there is no moving light in the pic, which is often hard at an airport.

Comment

Working...
                          X