halos around objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• halos around objects

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements. What can I do to avoid halos around aircraft or background objects when processing a picture? Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

With out seeing the image, my guess is either highlites or curves. Care to post an example.

Comment

example

I had the following picture rejected as "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing". I appealed it and asked for a more specific reason and help to improve it and was told "halos all over the photo"

Comment

I don't see to much around the aircraft but more or less around the building in the background. From my experience with PS halos can form with too much use of the Shadow/Highlight tool, but I'm not to sure if PS Elements has that feature. Also the picture seems to have a green cast to it.

Joey

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

In my opinion that looks more like some dodgy cloning than shadow and highlights.

Maybe you can post the orginal?

Comment

Peter,

I used the 'Check For Dust' tool which we have on the screening page which basically equalises the photo, therefore making any dust spots which may be there much more easier to notice.

This little feature is also good for spotting halos and in this case you can clearly see that the objects in the background are completely surrounded by them.

Hope that helps,

Dale

Comment

well, Dale... it helps me to see the halos more clearly, but how can I avoid them?

Originally posted by RingwaySam

Maybe you can post the orginal?

here it is, Sam... however, I had to downsize it, since the original is 3000 by 2000 pixels and has a file size of 1.9MB

Okay - I admit - getting good pictures at this particular spot is challenging and they need a lot of reworking afterwards - but I see so many other pictures on the database without the halo problem, so I believe there has got to be something that can be done about it.

Comment

If you want to use the burn tool to lighten up elements in the photo, first select the sky using the magic wand then select inverse. The burn tool will only work on the active selection so it won't affect the sky.

Edit: sorry, I meant dodge tool. Got mixed up.

Comment

Looking at the trees and the buildings behind in the background I can see alot of Grain, a bi-product of the Shadow Highlight tool. Is that shot the original? looks different to the rejected one. And the reg seems to be either N984DL or N964DL instead of N940DL on the rejected shot.
                  E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

Jason - believe me - it is the correct picture... except for the size, which i had to reduce to upload it to the forum. that also accounts for the reg being not legible...

Comment

What exactly were your steps during the post processing?

Gerardo
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I don't believe its the right picture...have a look at the number one engine in your rejected image...now have a look at it in the original you posted....I'm seeing a bit of Mr. Allen's colors...anyone else???

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

my mistake...

You might be right there... *lol... damn... Delta sure fly too many MD-88 in and out of ATL...

here is the correct picture...

Last edited by Peter Kesternich; 2006-12-03, 10:43. Reason: photo added

Comment

This is my attempt on my laptop so apologies if it aint good enough:

Basically adjusted the levels, curves, added alittle more saturation and contrast, corrected the horizon and then sharpened.
                            Last edited by v1images; 2006-12-03, 12:18.
                            E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

Peter, look up JIDs workflow you should be working in layers and never on the photo itself. He breaks it all down very nicely, it has helped my acceptance rate drastically.

Comment

Working...
                              X