Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise reduction

Hello everyone,

up until now I have just run my image through neat image to reduce the noise. Now I want to know how to do it manually because I don't want my exif data to be lost... The photo I am working with is the one below. Yes I know it sucks. I just want to know how to reduce the noise without using neat image.

Also those spots behind the right wing, are those dust spots? do I need to clean the sensor to get rid of that?

Josh, yes they are dust spots. You can use Neat Image, although you'll have to pay for the better version which doesn't add JPEG or get rid of the EXIF.

Comment

Hi Joshua,

I used Noise Ninja 2 which did a pretty good job of get rid of the noise. It also saves the exif info for the file. You might want to give it a try.

Not the best example but...

The dust spots can be removed by using the clone stand in Photoshop, or something similar in other products.

Comment

Cool Tim, I'll check that out. I just got this out of the box and there are already freaking dust spots.. thanks for the help guys

Comment

I don't know if that photo would get accepted noise or no noise, it's backlit pretty bad, but that's just my opinion.
          Bobby DeBarge
          www.debargephoto.com
          http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
          1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

I never said I was going to upload it. I just wanted help to reduce the noise.

Comment

Oh my bad...I misread it lol sorry.
              Bobby DeBarge
              www.debargephoto.com
              http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
              1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

The act of sharpening generates noise, so one trick to have up your sleeve is to use a selective sharpen technique and only sharpen the areas of the aircraft that need to be sharpened, leaving the potentially noisy areas like the sky and dark undersides unsharpened.
                Wallace

Comment

I see, I will try that out Wallace thank you.

Merry Christmas all

Comment

Originally posted by wwshack
                    The act of sharpening generates noise, so one trick to have up your sleeve is to use a selective sharpen technique and only sharpen the areas of the aircraft that need to be sharpened, leaving the potentially noisy areas like the sky and dark undersides unsharpened.

You could also try this out, http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/IS. It offers many options for selective sharpening.

Comment

Get a dust blower as well to get rid of the dust spots from the sensor. Those rockets do the job well enough for me.Dust spots are a pain in the arse, especially that little one you might miss during upload and you think "what an idiot I am" when you see the rejection reason!

Better to try and alleviate them in the first place with a regular blow. Oo-er Missus!

Comment

Selective, sharpening - Fred's IS is good but it is not what I mean as it sharpens everything in the picture, what I mean is only sharpen the bits of the picture that need it and leave or reduce the amount of sharpening to other parts of the picture.
                        Try this.... http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/p...sharpening.htm
                        Wallace

Comment

Originally posted by wwshack
                          Selective, sharpening - Fred's IS is good but it is not what I mean as it sharpens everything in the picture, what I mean is only sharpen the bits of the picture that need it and leave or reduce the amount of sharpening to other parts of the picture.
                          Try this.... http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/p...sharpening.htm
                          Intellisharpen does give you a fairly wide latitude. I Havent had chance to read the web page you suggest yet but I get the feeling IS simply automates the processes outlined. I use only the Sharpen Fine Detail option, also previewing and adjusting what it actually going to be sharpened. This seems to add very little if any noise.

PS From looking at your recent photos I guess I wont be doing anymore trips in "Tayside Delta Romeo"!!! Good to know the pilot walked away.

Comment

Dust and Grain!

Hi All,

Great post on some tips for sharpening! Thanks!! I usually use PS for three unsharp mask passes at 50%, 0.3 and 0.0 in the settings and making a duplicate copy after each pass..

Hey J!!!!!

Best,
                            B
                            Work Hard! Fly Right!

Comment

First of all, try to AVOID noise. Underexposed photos will always be noisy.

Then you have two main sources for noise, provided the scene you're capturing does not produce noise itself on the photo, like for example fog or snow: brightening up an underexposed photo and sharpening. Noise caused by sharpening can be limited using the techniques mentioned above. Noise caused by undereposure is a different thing.

Some RAW converters have a noise reducer which can help a bit.

Then there are some noise reducers out there, Neatimage or Noise Ninja for example, which, when properly used, can help a lot. If you have them as PS plugins, you can also use selective noise reducing. That way you can reduce noise, where it really distburbs, without deteriorating the whole photo.

Cheerio
                              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                              X