what to use for horizon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to use for horizon?

I knew this shot would be difficult, I belive I used the fence posts in the background as the reference.

Would I have been better off to use the large pole instead on some ground reference?

fence posts..the pole would undoubtedly move in the wind. needs some ccw rotation but not much.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

Comment

The pole is the eye catching reason why you have a level rejection.
      The bottom half of the pole at least would in no way be affected by wind.
      No more than a 1 metre mesh fence that would have been installed with less needed tolerance and accuracy.
      Try 0.8 deg anti clockwise……..
      Of course there is now way it can be guaranteed the pole is perfect, but the photo looks better.
      My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

thanks Greg,

Here is the original, not sure if the lines make it worse or not to try to level. It seems like when I use the large poll it makes the picture lean to much to the left IMO

If you try to use the fence posts, the one under the right wing looks perfect, yet the one of the left leans to the right.

When you have conflicting reference, is it best just to move on to another shot

Comment

For this shot I would have used the measure tool and drawn a line across the top of the main gear tyres, I think this would have given the right amount of CCW rotation in this case.

Comment

In a shot like that, I would say that the light pole is the most reliable reference. Ground surface or fence posts would be second - but only if that pole wasn't there.

Good luck!
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mrk25
              For this shot I would have used the measure tool and drawn a line across the top of the main gear tyres, I think this would have given the right amount of CCW rotation in this case.
              Mark, if I try this and upload, should I put some kind of comments in the field for screeners?

Appreciate the extra feedback

Comment

Not much wrong with that IMO. I would try 0.25 both CW and CCW, comapre to the one you have posted and see if one stands out as looking better. Wouldnt have thought much more than that was needed though?

Comment

Hi Dave,
                  Sorry for the delayed reply. Sure, put a comment as to your reference point. I have just saved your first shot above and tried my method and came up with 0.24 CCW. So Philh was spot on.

Comment

My word of advice on poles for horizon use is just be careful that the pole isnt tapered majorly as that one is....I have made that mistake more then once and gotten some annoying results.

Comment

thanks everyone, if all else fails I'll go with a different angled one that does have the poles in the background.

Just preferred this shot more.

Comment

Working...
                      X