Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening Advice

Hi

I went crazy and took 200 shots with my new EOS-400D, of which around half looked great in my humble opinion. I processed and submitted around 30 but all bar a couple were rejected just for Soft.

I have now bought FocalBlade to help with sharpening and have had a go with the following:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1279021

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1279026

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1279033

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1279041

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1279046

The problem is I use an LCD monitor at home and work and don't have access to a CRT! I normally have to edit them so jaggies appear to be classed as "non-soft" by the screeners.

My question is do these look oversharpened?

Cheers
    Noel

Originally posted by EZYFlyer
    My question is do these look oversharpened?
    Yes, they are all way oversharpened.

Comment

As a LCD user myself, at first i found i kept getting them soft, instead of doing that till jaggies appear idea, i just browsed the database and got a feel for what is being accepted. It gives you an idea of what it SHOULD look like on your LCD.

Try for something more like this

That being said, you'll get a far better result from the original.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Noel,

Your EXIF info suggests you may have some camera set up problems....for example on those 5 photos your ISO ranges from 100 to 1600.It is a possibility you may have other settings ....contrast etc etc set incorrectly It would be advisable to remedy or at least confirm what comes out of the camera first rather than to try and work on the edited photos.
        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

I agree with Greg here. Also, your EXIF data shows that you set your exposure compensation to either +1.0 or +1.3 which is certainly too much on a sunny day. An aperture of F5.6 seems also a little low, I'd say you should be set at between F8 and F11.

Comment

The bmi Baby is terribly over-processed aswell. If you want feel free to post some originals and maybe we could help you, looks like there salvagable...

Comment

Hi Noel,

I'm afraid they are indeed oversharpened & overprocessed. The last three worse than the others, these have some noise/grain issues caused by excessive sharpening.
              They could do with being pulled from the queue & re-worked.

Regards
              Mark

Comment

Hi Noel,
                I screened most of your pics and left you a few messages about it. While screening I said to myself this guy has a screen problem. Some exemples you are not showing here were oversharpened to a very high point. Also on what mode are you shooting ? Automatic ? I would suggest you to shoot on P mode, stay at around F.8 on a sunny day and at Iso 100.
                Even if I know that some may disagree I really think that a majority of LCD screens aren't good for editing. Only the expensive ones, and still not all of them, will give you good results.

Cheers
                Alex

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks very much for all your input. I was shooting in Tv mode, changing from F5.6 up to F11 depending on the light, when the sun came out it was very bright but then went to very dull when it got cloudy. I've took them out of the queue as my acceptance rate is low enough already!

I think I'm going to start again from scratch with the RAW files tonight and see how I get on.

I have put a couple of the originals on my website,

http://www.marshgiddings.com/files/jp/raw/IMG_0726.zip

I know the PIA one is a bit blurry in the original but I thought the Monarch, KLM and Virgin could come out quite well.

Not trying to advertise my own website or anything here but the original, resized images (pre-sharpening) are at www.aviation-photos.co.uk under Photos/Airliners, to give you an idea!

Cheers
                  Noel

Comment

Noel, I'll have a crack at them when they've downloaded.

EDIT - Noel, what are you using to open the RAW files? I can't seem to open them atall

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                      Noel, what are you using to open the RAW files? I can't seem to open them atall
                      I'm using Adobe's plugin from their website - you need the latest version that caters for the 400D as the 300/350D is a different plugin

Comment

I'm using Adobe's plugin from their website - you need the latest version that caters for the 400D as the 300/350D is a different plugin
                        Do you have a link to it?

Thanks,
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                          Do you have a link to it?
                          Sure it's http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3550

Camera Raw 3.6 update

Cheers
                          Noel

Comment

I have now bought FocalBlade to help with sharpening
                            If you're using the Camera Raw 3.6 update plugin for CS2, then why do you bother downloading another editing program?

Comment

Hi Noel,

Well i've just had a mess about with them, and in my opinion only one is uploadable, but that's just my opinion. Even if you was to upload the bmi Baby which I think has the best chance out of the lot you still have to worry about the dark area around the tail - Im not sure that's happend around there though. Here's a quick edit by me, I did attempt to move the black stuff but it's quite hard.

Have another try next time your at MAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X