Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have your feedback, please?

Hi all,

Today, unfortunately, another photo was rejected. Again for 'dark/underexposed' but for 'oversharpened' as well.

Both reasons I don't see.
    Can you please give your opinion and advise me how to fix it?
    Thanks in advance.

Joop

Hey Mr. Stroes

Mind to post the photo in question please !
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I don't know about the dark part but I do agree with oversharpened. The black on white lettering looks oversharpened to my eyes.

Comment

Not sure about the dark/underexposed because it isn't, but yes it's marginally oversharp.

Comment

the sharpness has also made the sky very grainy...i think it's blurry at the nose end to be perfectly honest, i voted oversharp.

next trips
          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
            Not sure about the dark/underexposed because it isn't, but yes it's marginally oversharp.
            Not very nice contradicting one of the team in the public forum! Ouch.

Although I didn't screen it I agree with both reasons. Your whites still appear grey just like in the last shot you linked on the forums Joop.

Comment

At first glance the levels seemed to be OK but there is a large patch of fuselage, just above the cabin windows with blown highlights. If you were to move the white slider down to the 230 mark it would improve the whites but unfortunately make the blown highlights much worse.
              There are come black patches on the under exposed
              It pays to look at the fine lettering for signs of over sharpening, a selective sharpening technique would have improved things here.

A postmortem would probably suggest that the reflection off the cabin gave a false reading to the light meter.
              Wallace

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I use Photoshop Elements and I don't have a clue where I can find the white slades etc, which you are mentioning.
                Can you tell me where I can find this in Elements and how tu use it?

Thanks,
                Joop

Comment

the more i look at it the more i see it being blurry, which is why you've probably sharpened it a little to much.

next trips
                  USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                    Not very nice contradicting one of the team in the public forum! Ouch.
                    OK, so i worded it badly....what i meant to say is that although i didn't screen the shot, I don't agree with the dark/underexposed rejection reason.

Sorry if I offended anyone...was having a very bad day..infact make that a very bad week and month!

Comment

PS Elements 4. Levels, Enhance, Adjust lighting, Levels or Ctrl + L

I have adjusted the white point slider to the 230 mark. This sets the pure white (255) in your picture, the left slider sets the pure black. Ultimately this will adjust the picture contrast and has to be used with care.
                      Note the peaks at the far right, these are the blown highlights along the top of the cabin windows, they can not be recovered.

I don't think that it is possible to do selective sharpening with Elements. I have used the Fred Miranda Intellisharpen II automation with elements in the past, that may be worth investigating further.

There is always a fine line to walk with sharpening, too much or too little will ruin an image. I would always seek out the fine titles on an image to check if they have the dreaded halo meaning that they have been over sharpened.
                      I prefer to see no halo at all but that runs the risk of an under sharpened rejection.
                      Wallace

Comment

I don't really see either. Just brighten it a bit, and back off on the sharpening. It's a very nice photo.

Comment

This is + .33 exposure on the right side. Not so much sharpening and it may well do the trick although its difficult without the original.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                            OK, so i worded it badly....what i meant to say is that although i didn't screen the shot, I don't agree with the dark/underexposed rejection reason.

Sorry if I offended anyone...was having a very bad day..infact make that a very bad week and month!
                            I hope all is okay mate. No harm done!

Comment

Working...
                            X