Raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw

So far the only way I've found to open and process Raw files is using the software the comes with my camera. That software is good, but it dosen't allow me to sharpen the image before finalizing it as a jpeg.

Is there any software that does this? I tried Photoshop (old verison, just CS). But when I try to open Raw files with it, it says it can't because it is not of the right type.

Thanks.

Try Capture One by Phase One. Its expensive, but works great.

Phase One aerial & photography cameras redefine high-resolution imagery. Explore our top-quality aerial, geospatial, & imaging solutions.

Comment

I've never heard of anyone sharpening in RAW, I thought you only made minor changes in raw prior to saving as a TIFF and then reopening and finalizing in PS. The last step should be sharpening.

My Nikon RAW convertor has sharpening available but I've never used it.

of course I could be totally wrong as I've just started using RAW, I always dealt with JPG Fine.

Comment

Oh. I thought it was possible.

My mistake.

Comment

Try RawShooter essentials from Pixmantec - download and try the freeware version. It is very good for freeware and you can sharpen and suppress noise with it to.

Personally I would sharpen from a converted raw file (in TIFF) after I had done my exposure and colour compensation in PS so I could selectively sharpen.

Jid

Comment

Photoshop CS can open RAW files, but you need perhaps an updated version of their RAW coverter. It allows you to open the photo directly in Photoshop (more or less) without having to save as TIFF first.

RAWShooter Essentials is indeed a great tool, which saves a RAW as TIFF first and then opens up that TIFF in your photo editor of choice. I have to agree with Jid though: save up your sharpenings until resizing the photo in your photo editor.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Rawshooter has been purchased by Adobe...No more Rawshooter.

Comment

WHAT??????? Didn't know that. Is their Adobe lightroom (or however it is called) based on this then?
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

This is from the the Adobe PS CS2 Help file.

Camera raw files
                  A cameraraw file contains unprocessed picture data from a digital camera’s image sensor. Many digital cameras can save images files in camera raw format. In this way, photographers can interpret the image data rather than having the camera make the adjustments and conversions automatically.
                  Camera raw image files contain the actual data captured by the sensor without any in‑camera processing; these are the only files containing “pure” data. Working with camera raw files gives you maximum control; you can set the white balance, tonal range, contrast, color saturation, and sharpening. Think of camera raw files as your photo negative. You can reprocess the file at any time to achieve the results you want.
                  To create raw files, you need to set your camera to save files in its own raw file format. In Adobe Bridge or Photoshop, you can process only those camera raw files obtained from supported cameras. Visit the adobe.com website to view a list of supported cameras.

From this you can see that you can download software to allow your camera RAW files to be displayed in Photoshop.
                  I do this with my Nikon RAW files and work on them in the RAW format throughout the processing in CS2. The last function before saving as a .jpg is to sharpen.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

RAW Shooter Essentials can still be down loaded from Pixmantec http://www.pixmantec.com/purchase/downloads.asp
                    although I never did like the way it done the colour rendition.
                    Wallace

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville
                      Rawshooter has been purchased by Adobe...No more Rawshooter.
                      Incorporoated into CS2. Adobe Camera RAW I believe is essentially this tool.

There is a product called Bibble which I understand is very good for RAW conversion. http://www.bibblelabs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                        WHAT??????? Didn't know that. Is their Adobe lightroom (or however it is called) based on this then?
                        There is your answer:
                        Originally posted by Pixmantec website
                        Adobe Systems Inc has acquired the assets of Pixmantec ApS. RawShooter | Essentials will no longer be updated but will be available for download until shortly after Adobe Lightroom 1.0 is released as a shipping product.

Comment

Bibble

Lately I have started using Bibble in preference to Canon's DPP.

I find Bibble to be very complicated to use and it does extend my workflow but it does have some advantages such as a series of excellent plug-ins from Nexi including an absolutely brilliant monochrome film emulator.
                          Wallace

Comment

Sharpening in PS2

Some interesting comments guys....

Personally, I have found that all image correction/resizing/cropping/sharpening can be done at the RAW stage in CS2's RAW browser.

Which means that when commiting the file to be saved as a JPEG it doesnt have to even enter the Photoshop window unless some digital manipulation is required. (or removal of dust spots)

I shoot all my images in RAW and process in CS2 using a Canon 20D and overall I am very happy.

One last thing I will say is, and image sharpened in RAW and zoomed to 1000% compared to the same image sharpened in JPEG with no sharpening in RAW makes for a noticable difference to the human eye!!!

I could be totally wrong, but I am happy with the results, everyone has there own technique, which makes sharing information that bit more exciting

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X