Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression on upload

Hi all,

Well i've just got back from MAN and decided to upload a few shots. Nearly all the shots, one in particular had quite abit of JPEG compression in it. I looked at my edited version and there was no compression in it.

Whats the best way of getting your shots uploaded with minimal compression added? Is there any way round this?...

Cheers,
    Sam

I'm also experiencing quite a bit of this...what's going on?

Comment

This was asekd and answered quite a few times already. Photos uploaded to JPnet are compressed a tiny little bit for obvious reasons. The best around this is simply to u'pload at best possible quality.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Gerardo, I know they get slightly compressed but it's quite noticable. I've changed my editing methods? Would this bother it atall, Im still saving in the highest quality.

Comment

It would bother, if your editing methods result in more noise, even slightly. I don't know, if the compression settings on JPnet have changed lately. At least, nothing has been mentioned within the crew.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks, Gerardo. Im gonna pull all my shots from the queue and re-work them and see what I can get out of them.

Comment

Okay pulled my shots from the queue and re-uploaded them today, most look ok compared to last night but still the US looks crap. Heres a link -

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I've uploaded it at 1024px and it was even worse, tried it at 1300px and with a watermark and it's a little bit better. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                Okay pulled my shots from the queue and re-uploaded them today, most look ok compared to last night but still the US looks crap. Heres a link -

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I've uploaded it at 1024px and it was even worse, tried it at 1300px and with a watermark and it's a little bit better. Any ideas?
                Looks more soft than it does compressed.

On the issue of compression, IIRC the scripts compress the files to something like 93% (?) of their original size, so if you have a whopping huge file (large dimensions or very saturated reds, for example), compression will be much more noticeable.

The best advice I can give is to work in sRGB, and to keep your file sizes small. The easiest way to do this is to keep the dimensions smaller, as a personal rule I don't go above 1200 pixels wide unless it's absolutely necessary to convey the motive of the photo and only then when the quality supports it. It might also help to lay off on the saturation just a touch if need be.

That's all I've got for now, happy uploading.

Comment

Thanks, Eric.

Comment

The compression gets rid of 200kb mostly, which is sometimes a bit too much. I notice the difference between the uploaded shots and the originals in terms of quality. I doesn't really bother me but sometimes the grain is increased quiet a bit.

Sam,

Comment

It seems to be the shots I don't crop much - The shots I crop quite abit seems to be fine.

All sorted out now. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X