Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth an appeal, or fixing

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1322138

Submitted it once then fixed the things that was pointed out now got bounced again for something entirely different.

Its very similar in lighthing and conditions to the image below (they were taken like 30 mins appart).

Chris,

the whites on the Lufthansa pic stand out more. Try playing around with either the curves or exposure settings in PS to lighten the image slightly. Given the conditions you did well to get any sort of decent shots. Well done.

Comment

The Lufthansa pic looks darker than the EVA pic to me. I guess it just depends on the particular screener's opinion.

Comment

I see both of your opinions. The White on the top of the Luft look almost blown out where i think the sky looks almost blown out on the Eva shot. I messed with the Contrast curves and exposure last time and got knocked for that, so this time i scaled back, maybe too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65

Submitted it once then fixed the things that was pointed out now got bounced again for something entirely different.
          Two possible reasons for this:

1 - Your re-edit has decreased the quality in some respect of the photo thus bringing up a differant rejection reason.

2 - Screeners will often reject a photo for the first issue they spot on it and move on.

Hope this helps

Comment

I know it can be frustrating when starting out but in my opinion I would keep it for the personal collection and go and get exactly the same picture in better weather conditions - Like I said though, just my opinion. Probably still fixable.

Comment

The light does look pretty horid im afraid. These conditions can be very benificial to a shot - giving it a great atmospher, but if the sky's still very much overcast your going to have a pretty dull looking shot. In most cases post processing will just make it look worse.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                I know it can be frustrating when starting out but in my opinion I would keep it for the personal collection and go and get exactly the same picture in better weather conditions - Like I said though, just my opinion. Probably still fixable.
                Kinda like these?

The point of shooting in those conditions was to get something different. I can bump the exposure a bit but i adjusted the levels to where they should be.
                Last edited by Christobal65; 2007-02-21, 05:30.

Comment

something 'different' does not necessarily equate to something better in photography.

Comment

I rather think that it will be a "personal collection" job but this is what I managed to do in a few minutes.

Brightened up a little by moving the middle arrow of the levels function to the left.
                    +10 contrast.
                    +10 green saturation
                    1 x pass of USM at 50. 0.4 0.

Last edited by brianw999; 2007-02-21, 09:19. Reason: spelling
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                      I rather think that it will be a "personal collection" job but this is what I managed to do in a few minutes.

Brightened up a little by moving the middle arrow of the levels function to the left.
                      +10 contrast.
                      +10 green saturation
                      1 x pass of USM at 50. 0.4 0.

See i did the extra contrast last time and you lose detail in the blacks around the main gear, just like you did. I really have to disagree that 'foul weather' shots are only for the personal collections, to me they are far more impressive then a simple 'easy' sunny day shot. The fact the Luftansa shot from the same rainy day has well over 1000 views in under a month is testament to that. Sure the conditions aren't totally condusive to spotting and photography, but impressive pics like these two can be done.

Comment

I'd leave the shot Chris. The shot is pretty dark out of the box already. You increase the light then you get more grain, worse quality, and much more. Some shots are just cursed form the start. IMO you got lucky with the LH shot. On your EVA shot there are hardly and highlights, too many mid-tones and shadows. Everyone get those shots somtimes.

Sam,

Comment

I think it's a bit inappropriate to tell you to keep the shot for your personal collection without having had a look at your original. I, for one have taken a few photos under similar, if not worse conditions and successfully uploaded them to JP.

[photoid=5818496]
                          [photoid=5817729]
                          [photoid=5827801]
                          I know they are not the best shots quality-wise, but I still like them.

I hope you were shooting in RAW mode...
                          Last edited by magic48; 2007-02-21, 19:31.

Comment

Originally posted by magic48
                            I think it's a bit inappropriate to tell you to keep the shot for your personal collection without having had a look at your original. I, for one have taken a few photos under similar, if not worse conditions and successfully uploaded them to JP.
                            I know they are not the best shots quality-wise, but I still like them.

I hope you were shooting in RAW mode...
                            I haven't shot in jpg in months. I think i will take another stab at processing the image again tonight based on some of the feed back here. I will see if i can find a happy medium between the two processing sesions for this image.

Comment

It`s just too dark mate. You cant compare it with the Luft as the weather changes second by second and even a tinier bit of light seeping through the clouds will change a pic.

I can see why you are a bit miffed with the rejection as I suppose it is close to borderline but I can also see why the screener rejected it.

You want to try coming over here to shoot in Manchester, we are experts at getting the best out of shitty weather bcos its like that day in day out over there!

Comment

Working...
                              X