• Problems with contrast

Hi Guys,

had this one rejected due to contrast problems. Light conditions where
    a bit difficult.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1353071

Do you think this second photo from the series is better and has
    a chance to be accepted?

Thanks for your help!

The second one looks better as far as contrast is concerned but the first is a better angle of shot. How about adjusting the contrast of the first. Not only will this improve the contrast but also the sharpness, which may also need a little kick of around 50, 0.2, 0 USM
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I just had a quick mess with the levels and USM and came up with this not perfect but gives you an idea that it is savagable

Comment

I think it's saveable but borderline.

Only problem is editing a compressed image and then recompressing it makes it take a real hit on quality. There's also some banding because it's not a 16-bit source image. But this is just to show that you can do it.

A good contrast S-curve in PS and a slight levels tweak and you're in business. Top it off with a little USM and you're set. I also made a slight color tweak to adjust the grey balance.

Now, whether a screener would like the edit is something else

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback so far. I think i will start from scratch and give it another
          try. I see where i went wrong.

Dan, your edit caught my eye! Looks pretty good, though working on a compressed
          image.

Comment

Tom:

Thank you. It's a snowy day up here in New England and I figured I would give it a shot. I do PS for a living in print production so it's no big deal for me to do edits.

How familiar are you with PS curves tool? I looked at the histogram and saw that it was mainly bunched up in the midtones (hence washed out/low contrast). Using an S-curve with the curves command will help restore this without blowing out your highlights. Much more flexible than the contrast tool.

Was this from a RAW file or from a camera JPEG, by any chance?

Comment

Dan,

the curves in PS are not really my darling. I mainly adjust levels and brightness/contrast.

Original shot is RAW (Canon, CRW).

Comment

OK Guys,

i've reworked this damn image over and over again. It's not about getting it
                accepted here (no upload since the first rejection) - it has become now a personal war between China Airlines and me

I'm completely stucked, whatever i do the contrasts will not appear, but
                of course i would manage to make it look overexposed, dark and just sh**t

I don't do this very often because i always want to learn myself and it's a challenge which i'm willing to accept. But well, here it is..my CRY FOR HELP!

If anybody is bored enough and has a solution, please feel free. I give up...

Tell me your e-mail adress and you'll get a 2.3MB jpg-file - just converted from raw without any further processing.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                X