Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting In Raw

Hello all,

Im going to try and have ago at shooting in RAW this week. I need abit of advice on what to do... I have Photoshop CS2 and the RAW plug-in, what else do I need?

Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sam

Bring lots of your square plastic friends! lol
    Last edited by YYZPICS; 2007-03-20, 03:41. Reason: typo...

Comment

Thats about all you need Sam ! CS2 and the plugin is fine , alternatively u can use Rawshooter if you have it , which is unfortunately unavailable now thanks to Adobe buying it.

Another thing you'll need is patience. It takes time to get RAW's looking pretty el neato . but the end result is worth it. some say it's not but when u rattle off a Privatair 757 only to discover you had bumped the exposure comp. all the way to max by accident and screwed up a whole batch of unfixable JPEGs then you'll be greatful lol.

Comment

Thanks Will. Sounds pretty straight forward. I'll give it ago today as the weather is looking pretty good for contrails!

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
        Sam

Comment

I was thinking about shooting my whole cruise in RAW...then I thought of how much of a pain in the ass it would be to convert everything to JPG afterwards. I figure I'll just shoot everyday stuff in JPG then all the big stuff (night shots, high quality shots, etc) in JPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
            I was thinking about shooting my whole cruise in RAW...then I thought of how much of a pain in the ass it would be to convert everything to JPG afterwards. I figure I'll just shoot everyday stuff in JPG then all the big stuff (night shots, high quality shots, etc) in JPG.
            Look into workflow software like Bibble or Lightroom. They have a bit of a learning curve but I can make my own database in lightroom by tagging all the planes by airport, tail #, airline, and other pertinent tags. Ratings too. I only convert the stuff to JPEG that I plan on posting here or a.net, otherwise it just stays RAW. It's not perfect but it's better than the abomination known as Bridge (though CS3 might change that).

Comment

The following is not exactly light reading but is well worth the effort.

(Taken from an ad.)

"Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS
              by Bruce Fraser

In the first volume devoted exclusively to the topic, best-selling author Bruce Fraser shows you how to take advantage of Adobe Camera Raw to set white balance, optimize contrast and saturation, handle noise, correct tint, and recover lost detail in images before converting them to another format.

After learning about the raw formats themselves, you'll discover hands-on techniques for exposing and shooting for digital raw, using the File Browser to preview images and automate tasks, and building a workflow around the digital raw process."

Comment

Originally posted by dvincent
                Look into workflow software like Bibble or Lightroom. They have a bit of a learning curve but I can make my own database in lightroom by tagging all the planes by airport, tail #, airline, and other pertinent tags. Ratings too. I only convert the stuff to JPEG that I plan on posting here or a.net, otherwise it just stays RAW. It's not perfect but it's better than the abomination known as Bridge (though CS3 might change that).
                I use RawShooter to view my RAW shots and convert the good ones to TIF after editing. I slap the TIF into CS2, sharpen, and convert to JPG. I wish I could preview the RAW shots in the windows icon like I can for JPGs. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                  I use RawShooter to view my RAW shots and convert the good ones to TIF after editing. I slap the TIF into CS2, sharpen, and convert to JPG. I wish I could preview the RAW shots in the windows icon like I can for JPGs. Oh well.
                  Use Microsoft's RAW thumbnailer.

Comment

Best Addon ever!!!!

I now shoot almost entirely in RAW (.NEF) and use only PS CS2 to process them. I leave the auto stuff turned off and do my processing with the normal tools in CS2.

Comment

every time I try to install that I get

"1635: Error Handling Microsoft(R) .NET Framework."

as a result my computer doesn't recognize RAW (.CR2, .NEF) format

I hate Microsoft

Comment

you have the most up to date .net framework? IIRC it requires 2.0 or greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65
                          you have the most up to date .net framework? IIRC it requires 2.0 or greater.
                          uh huh, installed 2.0 just the other day.... eh... a re-install can't hurt

Comment

For the last 4 years or so i have used Breezebrowser ... very nice software & easy to use !

just search and youll get it .

its all i use when shooting RAW.

cheers

Comment

I use Breezebrowser to view and rename the RAW files, as it has a nice batch rename feature. I then close Breezebrowser and open up RAW shooter for the conversion. In my opinion, RAW shooter produces better photos than Adobe RAW converter or Adobe Lightroom, which is based on the same "conversion engine".
                              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                              X