Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Backlit help.

Hello
    These three photos was rejected becous of backlit.
    But the sun was not infront of me.
    What can i do?

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1446966

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1446961

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1446957

Thenk's

kim.

There is nothing that you can do with these images, when the tail is in shadow the image would be considered backlit-and the close up shot of the Spanair aircraft suggests that the sun was in front of you when you took the shot, by looking at the shadow on the ground you can tell.

Matt
    http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

So you can't have a shadow infront of the aircraft?
      The sun have to be 180 degrees behind you, to avoid backlit?

Kim.

Comment

More or less, yes. If you see the shadow of the tail on the fuselage, then the shot is backlit.

Comment

Our backlit rejection used to include the words 'poor lighting'. In your case Kim that is more the point. Whilst your settings and post processing are excellent to get the results you have there is no substitute for good lighting.

Unfortunately aircraft and airports don't always pose in just the right light so there are times where it just doesn't work. Whilst your shots are nicer than some with a harsh sun directly overhead they do fall into the 'backlit' category.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Comment

Backlight can also enhance the reflections on an object, for example on the fuselage. I agree, that a well exposed fuselage on a completely overexposed washed out sky should be rejected, but sometimes a bit of backlight can even add a lot to a photo.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Well i do think the backlit rejection is a bit of a joke on this site. Ive had a few rejected for it where if you where to look at the angle of the runway and the direction i was facing and the time of the day it would show the light was straight behind me.
              Also this site takes alot of Duxford shots, they are all backlit due to the allignment of the runway unless you can get over the other side of the airfield. Almost all of the airshow shots from Duxford on here will be backlit doe to the time they are shot. The only exception is if they where taken before about 10am which is noticable.

Comment

We can only screen what we see and it is possible to make a backlit shot look good and also possible to make a not backlit shot look backlit.

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
                  Well i do think the backlit rejection is a bit of a joke on this site. Ive had a few rejected for it where if you where to look at the angle of the runway and the direction i was facing and the time of the day it would show the light was straight behind me.
                  Also this site takes alot of Duxford shots, they are all backlit due to the allignment of the runway unless you can get over the other side of the airfield. Almost all of the airshow shots from Duxford on here will be backlit doe to the time they are shot. The only exception is if they where taken before about 10am which is noticable.

I have to Agree with you there m8 on the backlit rejections on here being a joke its utter bollocks tbh some backlit shots are superb quality and there is no margin for error i have found that on here it all depends on who you know and not what you know i could find plenty of screeners shots that got accepted on here that if me or you had submitted would get rejected this is another reason i have stopped my subscription, Also its about time that all screeners had the same monitor settings etc coz what looks good on 1 screeners monitor might look crap on anothers

Comment

Don't forget you don't have to upload to JP - Rejections are there for a reason, we all get them and yes i've moaned in the past. Theres other things to worry about than JP rejections.

Comment

Originally posted by FatGit
                      some backlit shots are superb quality and there is no margin for error
                      That's why we accept backlit shots, PROVIDED, the backlight adds anything to the photo. More often than not, backlight simply kills a photo.
                      i have found that on here it all depends on who you know and not what you know
                      Complete bolloks!! Not worth discussing it. Even I had photos rejected for backlight ... and I know many screeners here, some even personally.

this is another reason i have stopped my subscription,
                      Good to know ....

Also its about time that all screeners had the same monitor settings etc coz what looks good on 1 screeners monitor might look crap on anothers
                      Again ... bolocks! A backlit shot looks backlit on every monitor in this dimension. Not sure about other parallel worlds though ....
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I dont whant to cause to much trouble here but i will find the photo that was rejected for backlighting when it was not, the lighting was behind me and maybe a bit to one side. The time and direction of the runway will prove it.

Comment

If you guys want to have a sensible discussion about our standards you are quite welcome to do so but please leave out the ridiculous accusations.

Matt

Comment

I do appologise if i have overstepped a bit but i do think this backlit is inconsistant and i will try and keep the discussion sensible now.

Comment

We know the frustration that the backlit rejection has caused lately which is why it is under discussion among the crew at the moment, we don't want the standards to become unattainable to non-pro photographers and it is worth remembering that we still accept more pictures than we reject.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X