Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much/too little contrast.

A two part question here....

Firstly, had this one rejected for too much/too little contrast. Which way do you think I should go ?

Secondly, on this subject. The reason for my question above is to ask if we could not have a definitive "too much" or alternatively "too little" reason for rejection in the reject email rather than the two combined ?
    We do, after all, have definitive "overexposed" and "underexposed" reject reasons and a contrast rejection is very much a similar problem.
    Obviously, when we upload pictures, we think they're OK or we wouldn't upload them in the first place ! When the screener rejects them he thinks "Hmmmmmm, yes, not enough contrast" or "Hmmmm, yes, too much contrast" and ticks the contrast rejection box.

Trouble is, we don't which was the reason he decided upon !

Food for thought maybe ?

PS. While I'm on the subject of Japanese registered aircraft...a note to the screeners...sorry for uploading again an ANA 747 that I had accepted some months back. I really thought it had been rejected back then.

The reject simply read "similar picture uploaded."

It should have read "similar picture uploaded...in fact it's the SAME picture you plonker !!"

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Ohhhhh....SOD IT !

I could have sworn I checked the histogram on that one, but obviously I didn't.

This any better ?

Stefan,

I followed your link and recall that thread now.
    Matt Taylor spoke about a guide to contrast problems and you spoke about the possibility of a curves tutorial. Any movement on those subjects ? I must admit to being a little confused on the subject of curves.

Comment

The curves tutroial has not been started due to a lack of interest so far.
      My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
      My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
      ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Hi Brian,

The brightest areas of white (base of tail & right engine cowl) still look "blown out" from too much contrast IMHO. I will try and make a breif curves overview easy to understand,(Try being the optimum word).

After opening the curves function you are presented with a graph like box with a diagonal line. Now say for example you wanted to darken those bright areas on the JAL, whilst keeping an eye on the diagonal line in the curves window left click on the area you wish to adjust, when you click the area a small box will appear somewhere along the curves line. Remember that spot, then to darken that area click & drag the diagonal line where you saw the small box appear. Down to darken up to brighten. It can be used in much greater depth but that's about the long and short of it. Hope this helps

Mark

Comment

I assume the Curves function is a feature of Photoshop CS? Because I don't think it's available on Elements, which many of us use cos we're poor and mostly skint.

Andy

Comment

I have it on Elements 2.0 Andy, but in all honesty the biggest factor in terms of contrast is correct use of the histogram function.

Matt
            http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

The curves tutorial has not been started due to a lack of interest so far.
              Yooo hooooo....me..me..me...me

Comment

I will try to make a short pdf in the next weeks, then.

Comment

I will be doing a slightly more advanced curves/channel tutorial in the next few months as well which could well be useful here.

Jid

Comment

I just want to encourage the screeners to do a tutorial concerning contrast problems. Just the information about the curves posted by Stefan some weeks ago was so helpful that I could improve my editing results definetely and therefore my upload results .
                    I'm looking forward to those tutorials, many thanks in advance to all who spend their time in trying to impart their knowledge to others.

Kay

Comment

Originally posted by Kathysto
                      I just want to encourage the screeners to do a tutorial concerning contrast problems. Just the information about the curves posted by Stefan some weeks ago was so helpful that I could improve my editing results definetely and therefore my upload results .
                      I'm looking forward to those tutorials, many thanks in advance to all who spend their time in trying to impart their knowledge to others.

Kay
                      Don't forget...

http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/index.html

But I will be updating again soon ... Jid

Comment

http://www.seahawk.gmxhome.de/contrastreject.pdf

Is a very early document of a guide in regard to understanding a contrast rejection I have been working on. Would you find such guides useful ? Would you want jetphtos to host them on the site ?

Comment

At Jid: Sorry that my post was sort of mistakable, but to make it clear: your contribution to the way of digital photo processing is at a most high level and surely very helpful to all of us who try to get along with their shots, and I use it extensively. Nevertheless I got many rejections due to bad contrast and apparently my understanding of the curves (in Photoshop 2 I must admit ) was a woolly one. Maybe on this issue your guideline works not for all users. But if you will be updating... would also be appreciated very much.

At Stefan: Yes , this guideline about contrast / histograms / curves is helpful (to me) and should be hosted on the site. As I said before: since I've read your first post on this issue I am getting along a lot better with the curves and hence got less rejections because of bad contrast.

Sorry for my late response on this crucial point of photo editing.

Comment

Working...
                          X