Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrast problem

Hi guys

When I am viewing a JPEG as a normal unedited picture the contrast is normal, then when I put the same JPEG into a program, i.e Photoshop, the tones become more mild and the contrast decreases.
    At first I thought it was a problem with photoshop, but the same occurs when the picture is in Nikon's PictureProject.

Any help please!!

Cheers
    Neil.

Photoshop as well as other photo editors use color profiles, which change the contrast and the colors of a photo. A web browser doesn't use color profiles. If you want the same results in Photoshop as in in a web browser, select sRGB in Photoshop.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Cheers, however I went to change it and it said it was already in sRGB mode.

Comment

Can't say much without an example. Can you post one of those originals and perhaps a screenshot, how it looks in your photo editor?

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply.

These are two examples, both opened in PS and in the normal windows viewer.

In both cases the one opened in photoshop (on the left of the screenshot) has more mild tones than the one external from photoshop.

Comment

Not an expert, but I still think, it has to do with the way Photoshop handles colors and color profiles. Jid Webb would be the one who could shed some light here.

Comment

Ok, thanks anyway.

Comment

Hummm, well it depends on what is coming out of the camera. If the camera is set to Adobe RGB you can set PS to use that profile (or it will prompt you if you want to change it at the point of loading). This prompt can be turned off and you would be working with an Adobe RGB colour space. This will give the appearance of being slightly dull and lacking in contrast but is giving you a true representation of your image. When you view it in a viewer or explorer these use sRGB only and because A RGB has a larger colour gambit than sRGB, your viewer 'guesses' at the colours it can't resolve. This can result in a more vibrant looking image but the colours representation will be poor.

So the moral of this story is make sure you get sRGB out of your camera, use an sRGB colour profile in PS and all should be well.

Jid

Comment

Thanks Jid!

Comment

Working...
                  X