Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Space Question

Hey you Pros,

Have a quick question on Color Space. I use Photoshop 6 which is an Adobe product, so should I set my Color Space to sRGB or AdobeRGB when I shoot in RAW format ?? Or does it matter ??? I'm still in the learning process at age 58. I still like JPG's for color and contrast, but understand that RAW is a better uncompressed picture.
    I'd love to see one of you guys work a RAW format picture from the camera to a finished pic on Photoshop or similar softrware. Anybody live near Cincinnati, Ohio for a quick tutorial ?? LMK,,,,,,, Thanks,,,,,,, Steve
    Click to view my pictures on Jetphotos.net. Thanks!!

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5984

When converting from RAW, you'll have to choose a target colorspace. Remember that RAW isn't really a picture format so much as the unprocessed data from the image sensor.

Generally, you want to give yourself the most gamut to work in, and then you will be able to do perceptual conversions to any other gamut.

Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Camera RAW convert into ProPhoto RGB color space, which provides the widest gamut. You can then do a perceptual conversion from ProPhoto to sRGB (target for the web and what you should use when uploading to JP.net). The perceptual conversion will try to keep the overall color relationship the same (IE, keep it looking as close as possible to your ProPhoto masterpiece).

Adobe RGB is a larger gamut than sRGB but smaller than ProPhoto. It's designed for a gamut that can easily be converted into CMYK.

Adobe RGB and ProPhoto just give you more headroom to make edits without clipping. Photoshop 6 doesn't even understand what RAW files from cameras are about. You might want to pick up Lightroom or a later version of PS that has Camera Raw.

Comment

Colr Space, etc.

Dan,
      Hey Thanks for taking the time to help an ole guy. Looks like I need to spend more $$ on better software. I usually dowload the Raw with a free program called Raw Shooters Essentails, convert to a TIFF for photoshop then convert to a JPG for Jetphotos. Too much ???
      I'm going to have to do some reading and work straight out of a program for RAW. I had the Nikon Capture for a trial period. I guess it was okay. It batched the pictures quickly. Now I have a Canon EOS 30D, and a Nikon D200. I like the Canon lens ,,,100-400 USM IS. Wish I could put the 100-400 on the Nikon D200.
      Hey Thanks again for the help. I looked at your pics. Nice, very sharp, bright & crisp. I liked the FedEx,,,DC-10, DC-10, DC-10,,,ha,ha,,,,
      I think the DC-10, and L1011 are my favorite style planes. I used to work at the CVG airport post office before I had a good camera and watched the Gemini Cargo DC-10F come in ever day. We made a party out of watching that plane, scanner and all.
      Later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Steve

Generally, you want to give yourself the most gamut to work in, and then you will be able to do perceptual conversions to any other gamut.

Adobe RGB is a larger gamut than sRGB but smaller than ProPhoto. It's designed for a gamut that can easily be converted into CMYK.

Adobe RGB and ProPhoto just give you more headroom to make edits without clipping. Photoshop 6 doesn't even understand what RAW files from cameras are about. You might want to pick up Lightroom or a later version of PS that has Camera Raw.[/QUOTE]
      Click to view my pictures on Jetphotos.net. Thanks!!

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5984

Comment

Working...
      X