Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on bad composition.

Hello there,

I am a newbie photographer. I would appreciate some pointers on how to improve the composition of this rejected photo:

http://www.jetphotos.net//viewreject_b.php?id=1508805

I have read through most of the threads with similar topics but still unable to determine what is the best way to go with this particular photo. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Edwin.

The aircraft is too low in the frame. With this type of side on picture a good rule of thumb is to put the windows on the vertical centre line.

This pic shows how low it is .......

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian got it right 100%.

Comment

Hi Brian,

I always used to crop and centre by eye, that seemed to work for me albeit hard sometimes. You mind guiding me in the direction of where this nifty tool is??

Cheers
        Neil.

Comment

If you're using Photoshop Ctrl+' selects and deselects the grid. I'm not at home right now and can't remember how but there is a way to adjust what kind of grid displays. As far as I can recall the one shown is the default but you can choose the number of lines somehow. I'm on nights, when I get home tomorrow I'll check it out and post the result....unless someone beats me to it of course.

put the windows on the vertical centre line.
          I should have said the horizontal centre line !!
          Last edited by brianw999; 2007-07-19, 00:35.

Comment

Thanks so much, Brian. It makes sense now that you said it... Does this look any better?

Hey Neil, your pictures are one of the reasons I started photographing!

Comment

Thanks for the help Brian, will try that out later on!

Originally posted by Edwin
              Hey Neil, your pictures are one of the reasons I started photographing!
              Wow, Edwin, thank you. It is a great feeling to know ones pics are appreciated, to know that they are an inspiration for others to get involved in photography is all the more rewarding! Thanks mate and keep up the good work...

Comment

Originally posted by NeilA330
                Wow, Edwin, thank you. It is a great feeling to know ones pics are appreciated, to know that they are an inspiration for others to get involved in photography is all the more rewarding! Thanks mate and keep up the good work...
                Thanks Neil. Will definitely keep practicing with my new toys. Maybe we’ll even run into each other at Chek Lap Kok some day, haha.

Comment

Does this look any better?
                  Looks good to me, but I'm not a screener .....and if you're a newbie, well, I wish my first efforts had been as good as that !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                    Looks good to me, but I'm not a screener .....and if you're a newbie, well, I wish my first efforts had been as good as that !
                    Thanks heaps for your help, Brian.
                    Beginner's luck I suppose - hope it's not going to run out too soon, haha.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi, just a follow up note to let everyone know that I've re-submitted the picture and it got accepted - yahoo!!
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6023576&nseq=0

Thanks again for the help!
                      Edwin.

Comment

Well done, it's a good pic that just needed a little bit of work !!

Keep going on the way that you are and you'll do well here.

Comment

Working...
                        X