No announcement yet.

Impending Change to Photo Cropping Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you keep proportions when resizing? If so, there's no way, an MD80 will look "too short".
    [photoid=6076297][photoid=6073729]
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

is 'proportions' the part on the right in PS that you can click?
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1008

Comment

In PS, when you start from the fullsize original. You select the Crop Tool (c) On top it then open the option bar for the tool. There you enter "1024 px" in to the Width field and "683 px" into the Height field.

Then you move the tool cursor with your mouse onto your original pjoto. Clikc with the left mouse button And move your mouse. It now opens a rectangular box that exactly has the correct aspect ratio. You know adjust the box so that the plane is in the middle and nothing is cut-off. Then you go to the tool window and click on the check sign. Your photo is now crooped and correctly resized.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Since I started spotting and uploading to JP, I used (and still do) to keep a limit on the vertical size for a photo. Since I was always used to upload at 1024px, I would say: "Minimum vertical size: 600px, Maximum vertical size: 800px".

Since no one has really mentioned this and I'm not really used to inches here in Costa Rica, I would like to see if someone can help me by giving me some updated "limits" for vertical size.

Right now what I've got in mind is from 680px to 820px on 1200px wide shots, that margin should be more than enough but I would really like to hear from a screener first to see if this is fine. A lot of people have gone confused and fixing their Photoshop or editing program to the sizes mentioned in the original post and are getting weird photos or un-centered and un-levelled shots.

Hope this helps some people like me which are still getting rejections for cropping .

A couple rejected recently for bad cropping:

http://www.jetphotos.net//viewreject_b.php?id=1632895
          http://www.jetphotos.net//viewreject_b.php?id=1632917

Thanks Guys!
          Tomas.

Comment

It is very simple : You should upload in an aspect ratio between 3:2 (thinnest) and 4:3 (tallest)

for 1200px wide 3:2 is 1200 x 800 px
            for 1200px wide 4:3 is 1200 x 900 üx

the first reject is 1200 x 792 - 19px (copyrightbar) = 1200 x 773 px
            the second reject is 1200 x 787 - 19px = 1200 x 768 px

Both are too thin

Comment

Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements and I always use the 'constrain proportions' option.
              So I key in 1024 and it automatically resize it into proportion.
              Still my photo got rejected
              (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1639376)
              ( http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1639329)

Any advice?

Thanks,
              Joop

Comment

You do crop before ?

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                  This ratio is common in TV but nor really in photography. These shots would also work with a 3:2 ratio.

Gerado
                  Sometime down the line this is one that might want to be reconsidered.

Some of the new camera models coming on to the market are supporting the 16:9 format, as people start viewing photos (and hooking up their PC's) on their plasma/LCD widescreen TV's I can see this becoming a popular format.

Comment

What is the size of the original photo?

Originally posted by Joop
                    Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements and I always use the 'constrain proportions' option.
                    So I key in 1024 and it automatically resize it into proportion.
                    Still my photo got rejected
                    (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1639376)
                    ( http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1639329)

Any advice?

Thanks,
                    Joop

Comment

Stefan,

Thanks for the advice, understand it perfectly now, my latest shots in the queue are all between 795px and 810px wide.

Thanks!
                      Tomas.

Comment

Please advise,

1024 X 760

1024 X 749

Comment

please give some more details next time!

Gerardo

Comment

I have a question: I recently bought Photoshop Elements 6.0.
                            When cropping there is an option to 'use photo ratio' (from the original photo).
                            When doing so and resizing/saving (keying 1024, using contraint proportions) it doesn't always give me a 1024*783. How to make sure I get the correct ratio and what are the margins to 'play'with?

Thanks for your feedback,
                            Joop

Comment

Let's say I finish working on a photo that I cropped in aperture and resized in CS2 and I notice it comes out at 1600x1065. I can only assume this has to do with the conversion between floating point math and integer math (unless CS2 uses the FPU to resize, I really can't remember- I'm a pilot now not an engineer). Is such a shot acceptable, or do I have to go back and find a method of cropping that will make it 1600x1067? I tried resizing to 1200, but it came out at 1200x799, and then just to annoy me 1024x684. I noticed Seahawk's earlier reply, but is there a difference for two mere pixels?

Comment

Well, easiest would be: crop away 1-2 pixels at the left or the right

Two pixels more or less is OK. We noted, that shots taken with some Nikon DSLR are resized to 1024x681 instead of ...x682 or ...x683. Weird things happen sometimes....

Comment

Working...
                                X