Impending Change to Photo Cropping Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impending Change to Photo Cropping Rules

In the last months we have seen many uploaders using very strange formats for the typical side on shots like 1024x950 pixels or 1024x590 pixels. To avoid any further misunderstandings, resulting in unnecessary rejections and appeals, we have decided to add the following rule to our screening guideline.

Photos should be uploaded between 4:3 or 3:2 format. Those formats are typically used by almost all digital cameras, so that any changes to the format can only be achieved by deliberately cropping the photo differently.

A photo outside these size ratios will be rejected using the rejection reason "Cropping / Photo edges". In the first few weeks we will try to leave you message explaining the problem.

The upload guideline will be corrected as soon as possible to reflect this new rule.

To make it easier for you here are the typical sizes for both ratios.

4:3

800x600
    1024x768
    1280x960
    1600*1200

3:2

800x533
    1024x683
    1200x800
    1600x1067

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi AJ

I can understand that it must be frustrating to receive odd cropping ratio's, but do you consider 4.5 cm x 3 cm an odd crop ratio? It never once made any of my pics look funny, and it is allows*more of the original picture to be included in the crop (compared to 4:3)

Cheers
    Neil.

Comment

but do you consider 4.5 cm x 3 cm an odd crop ratio? It never once made any of my pics look funny, and it is allows*more of the original picture to be included in the crop (compared to 4:3)
      Well AJ clearly said that a crop between 4:3 and 3:2 is acceptable. Your mentioned 4.5cm:3cm is exactly the 3:2 crop.. So it is said that those shots are within the range..

Cheers
      Björn
      "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchet

Comment

Originally posted by KLM772ER
        Well AJ clearly said that a crop between 4:3 and 3:2 is acceptable. Your mentioned 4.5cm:3cm is exactly the 3:2 crop.. So it is said that those shots are within the range.
        Quod erat demonstrandum!

Gerardo
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

so just to nit pick this and make sure i don't waste screener's time in the future would my 1024x681 be kosher? Its the size PS gave me when i told it to lock the aspect ratio of my photos when resizing.

Comment

Originally posted by KLM772ER
            Well AJ clearly said that a crop between 4:3 and 3:2 is acceptable. Your mentioned 4.5cm:3cm is exactly the 3:2 crop.. So it is said that those shots are within the range..

Cheers
            Björn
            Thanks Björn for clearing that up

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65
              so just to nit pick this and make sure i don't waste screener's time in the future would my 1024x681 be kosher? Its the size PS gave me when i told it to lock the aspect ratio of my photos when resizing.
              Yes, that is the Nikon version of 3:2

Comment

Yep! We had to change the rules by a few pixels, due to the fact, that Nikon doesn't get their Maths right ....

Gerardo

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                  Yep! We had to change the rules by a few pixels, due to the fact, that Nikon doesn't get their Maths right ....

Gerardo
                  My mom always told me i was special cause i was different

Comment

I'm sure, she meant it in a more positive way .....

Comment

Just a question, what should the ratio be for pictures that are verticle? Not that I am uploading one now but just for future referance.

thanks,
                      Will
                      Will C.

Comment

Originally posted by Will_Power
                        Just a question, what should the ratio be for pictures that are verticle? Not that I am uploading one now but just for future referance.

thanks,
                        Will
                        my guess would be the inverse

Comment

Thanks,
                          Thats what I guessed, but I was just making shur.

Will
                          Will C.

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65
                            my guess would be the inverse
                            Correct again!

Gerardo

Comment

Any chance of reconsidering for a 16:9 ratio?

[photoid=6001199]
                              [photoid=5929678]

Are both in 16:9 because i felt the shot worked a lot better than having the extra dead space. Its a common ratio many people are familiar with, so any chance it will still be acceptable?
                              Sam Rudge
                              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Working...
                              X