No announcement yet.

Impending Change to Photo Cropping Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This ratio is common in TV but nor really in photography. These shots would also work with a 3:2 ratio.

Gerado
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Can someone tell me which of the following crop ratios i should use:
      10x15
      13x18
      20x25
      Im guessing 10x15 but im not sure. Can someone please clarify this for me.

Comment

10x15 yes !

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
          10x15 yes !
          Thank you. I whanted to check before i uploaded any more.

Comment

15x10 = 3:2 -> OK
            18x13 = 3:2,1 -> OK (not a usual crop, but between 3:2 and 4:3)
            25x20 = No-go

If you use Photoshop, you can preset your crop tool to a 3:2 or 4:3 size ratio. That way you don't have to bother anymore.

Gerardo

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
              15x10 = 3:2 -> OK
              18x13 = 3:2,1 -> OK (not a usual crop, but between 3:2 and 4:3)
              25x20 = No-go

If you use Photoshop, you can preset your crop tool to a 3:2 or 4:3 size ratio. That way you don't have to bother anymore.

Gerardo
              Cheers. My normal photo edditing software has thrown a wobbly so im having to use some free software and thats the only crop ratios they offer.

Comment

i am posting photos at 1024 x 698 and still getting photos rejected,can you help please

Comment

sorry i meant 1024 x 683

Comment

Can you please post an example?

Gerardo

Comment

What about cameras that support 16:9 because that is the native format of their sensor? The Panasonic LX2 comes to mind. You can use 3:2 or 4:3 format but in that case you're cropping out usable space on the sensor.

What if you shot a picture with a medium format that uses a square or 5:4 ratio?

Comment

When ever I try to crop a photo with either 4:3 or 3:2, I can't fit the whole plane in the crop box. How do I fit all of the plane in the shot? What am I doing wrong?

- Dylan

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

What about cameras that support 16:9 because that is the native format of their sensor?
                          As mentioned above, the 16:9 format is not really widespread in photography so far.
                          What if you shot a picture with a medium format that uses a square or 5:4 ratio?
                          I have screened somewhere around 100'000 photos in the past few years and have yet to come across a medium format photo. Once somebody feals the urgent need to run across an airport with a multi 10k US$ equipment just to upload some photos here, we will surely find a way.

Comment

As mentioned above, the 16:9 format is not really widespread in photography so far.
                            I have screened somewhere around 100'000 photos in the past few years and have yet to come across a medium format photo. Once somebody feals the urgent need to run across an airport with a multi 10k US$ equipment just to upload some photos here, we will surely find a way.
                            So what you are saying is i should scan some of my medium format negatives and post them?

(yes i really have shot at LAX with a medium format Hasleblad)

Comment

So what you are saying is i should scan some of my medium format negatives and post them?
                              Nope, I said, that once we get such a photo 5:4 photo, we will surely find a way. I didn't say where this way will be heading .....

Boy, I still have to see a medium format camera at the airports. Opens up a huge field for interesting photo discussions!

Gerardo

Comment

Nope, I said, that once we get such a photo 5:4 photo, we will surely find a way. I didn't say where this way will be heading .....

Boy, I still have to see a medium format camera at the airports. Opens up a huge field for interesting photo discussions!

Gerardo
                                It was rather interesting being out there with the medium format camera kinda hard to get a proper focus too. people were looking at me like i was more nuts then usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X