Halos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halos?

I got 5 rejections today, 4 of which were for overprocessing with a note saying that my shots have halos.
    I don't really understand them that much. Probably because I edited them with my contacts in (makes it hard to see up close ) Can somebody point out what I did wrong so I can avoid it. Anything to do with the shadow/highlight tool?

Help appreciated.

Look ok to me Jordan. The only halo that might possibly be visible is on the last shot, around the winglet - and I think thats just my eyes at this time of the morning!

Andy

Comment

Did you use the shadow/highlight function in photoshop ? it has a strong tendency to make halos. yyou're pics all have a light halos, specially aaround the wing.

Regards
      Alex

Comment

Same to me! Can`t really see any halos in your shot either! As Andy mentioned maybe in the last one but not really significant!

As for the Digital Manipulation, both Southwest shots are way to much over saturated!

But anyway, be careful with the S/H tool and use it only slightly, as it very easily can make your picture look unreal! Have a look at your first ERJ picture, the underside of your wing looks bright as if the plane was flying over an reflecting surface, while the rest of the bottom fuselage doesn`t look that way.. (But maybe thats just my opinion.. )
        And it is oversharpenend..

Hope it helps a bit
        Björn
        "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchet

Comment

Doesn't seem to be (only) the shadow/highlight. What sharpening settings do you use?

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Jordan the Manipulation comes from what looks like an attempt to remove dust but really didn't come out well. If you equalize the photos you'll see what I was referring to. Do you use Photoshop? I know you'll prob read about a million in one ways to edit a photo but after I'm done adjusting the levels and contrast I go ahead and select the plane only and leave out the sky and/or surrounding landscape. Works like a charm each time, give it a go.

Comment

I took a look at them with equalisation in PhotoShop and they all have significant haloes and evidence of manipulation present. I'm not talking about disallowed type of manipulation by the way.

Tommy gives a good way to lose any haloes.

Another is to set the levels by adjusting the histogram as required and then create a background layer. This is especially good with these types of shot where the aircraft is surrounded by sky. Continue with your processing until, when sharpening, jaggies start to appear.

Go back one step ( Ctrl+Z).

Select the sky with the magic wand tool and delete the sky leaving the original unprocessed sky.

Flatten the image.

Hey Presto, no grain, no haloes or evidence of manipulation in the sky and on the edges of the aircraft.

If you still need to sharpen the whole aircraft then create another background layer, sharpen as required or until jaggies appear. If jaggies appear then erase them and flatten again.

If there are small parts that require sharpening rather than the whole aircraft then use selective sharpeing using the lassoo tool to select.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Not really ranting or trying to start anything, but why is something that can't be seen by the "naked eye" grounds for rejection? I mean, nobody saves the pictures and equalizes it going "AHA, found a problem!"

Comment

Not really ranting or trying to start anything, but why is something that can't be seen by the "naked eye" grounds for rejection? I mean, nobody saves the pictures and equalizes it going "AHA, found a problem!"
                  I know where you're coming from there and, to a degree, agree with you. Your last example however has haloes, especially around the engines, that are quite obvious on my screen. To a lesser degree the same can be said of the first example.
                  To be seen on my screen means that they must be rather obvious to the screeners !

Whichever method you use to isolate the aircraft from the sky, I've found that it is essential to do it with this type of picture during processing.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                  X