X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad motive rejection - engine close up

Hello,

this one was rejected today:

There were uploaded several nice shots of this airliner (Lufthansa Regional's special scheme CRJ 'Little Europe') on this site taken during the Airport Days 2007 in Hamburg, so I decided not to upload the 7th pic showing the entire aircraft but a detail, the close up of the GE engine (with the engine being in the center of the picture). I hope its understandable why I just wanted to upload this detail...aircraft engines are beautiful and you don't get so close very often.
    I think I wouldn't have tried to upload the pic if I had not seen considerable chances.
    And, to keep in mind, in the database can be found some engine close ups from time to time.

So I would be happy about your opinions or hints: am I completely off the track by uploading this kind of picture and should I keep it for my personal collection? Or is it just a matter of taste? Or should I choose a better angle next time?

Many thanks in advance for your help, cheers

Kay

A closer crop would help. There is too much empty space on the right and too much aircraft on the left.

Comment

Ah, I see the problem. I will have a look at the original and see if I can crop it closer.

But then I would prefer the rejection reason composition/centered or cropping for a better understanding.
      Bad motive sounds so harsh that you normally wouldn't dare uploading the pic again with any kind of modification... That was the reason I opened this thread because I couldn't believe that my pic was that bad.

Thank you for your advice, Stefan.

Kay

Comment

I would suggest a 4 : 3 crop ratio which should help to lose the dead space.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Kathysto
          Ah, I see the problem. I will have a look at the original and see if I can crop it closer.

But then I would prefer the rejection reason composition/centered or cropping for a better understanding.
          Bad motive sounds so harsh that you normally wouldn't dare uploading the pic again with any kind of modification... That was the reason I opened this thread because I couldn't believe that my pic was that bad.

Thank you for your advice, Stefan.

Kay
          Yes, motive + comp. center would have been not wrong. Problem is that when we rejected for comp. people would not change the crop, but move it left/right uo/down

Comment

Thank you, Brian. I usually use a 3 : 2 crop ratio, let's see what 4 : 3 will do to the pic.

Stefan, obviously it's sometimes hard for the screeners to get people back on the right track by only using the rejecting reasons, but in most cases they work quite good. I think sometimes it would be helpful if a screener's comment could be added to the rejected pic to make clear what the uploader did wrong or what he could do to improve the pic and get it in the database (and this is what we all are looking for: to improve our skills and to get our pictures uploaded

But maybe this would be too much effort and this discussion forum is working well as we all can see.

Thank you very much for your replies, Kay

Comment

We have the option and we usually do it when we see the need to leave a message. The problem is that few people read the message, which I can tell from the number of appeals we get, although the screener left a message and that it takes time to explain every rejection in detail. But as you, if you have questions the forums are always a good place to ask them.

Comment

Perhaps even a portrait shot, 4:3 or 2:3, will look even better.
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Try and find a pic in the DB like yours and use it as a guideline for your cropping. Good luck mate!
                  Like this one: [photoid=6054823]

-Chris

Comment

I want to thank you all for your kind replies which were very helpful for me. I think I got to understand what is wrong with my picture and why the linked one (by the way a very nice shot) was so much better and hence accepted.

In this case it was important for me to know that not the motive itself was the problem (the rejection reason) but my way of editing the original. I hadn't have the time to overwork the pic, but I'm sure the given hints will help to get a better result. Maybe even good enough for the database...!? Keep an eye on the Fuhlsbüttel pics...

Greetings from HAM,

Kay

Comment

Best of luck to you Kay! Hope to see some of your pics soon.

-Chris

Comment

Can you please help, cause this photo was accepted for the same reason (Bad Motive)

thanks in advance
                        www.SandroZahra.com

Comment

I guess you mean "rejected" for the same reason. This is the first time I had seen this shot, and found myself searching the image for someting of interest. For this to work it needed a much wider focal length and from a better angle.

Comment

I would put it simple. : Too much seat cushion, too little cockpit.

Comment

i understand and thanks for the help, but in my opinion there was no room to take the picture better
                              www.SandroZahra.com

Comment

Working...
                              X