How best to centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to centre

Should this aircraft be higher/lower in the frame, or is it the dead space to the right of the tail that caused the centreing rejection.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1620908

Thanks

Mark

This pic is too low in the frame (just screened it a few min ago...). A good way to check how centered a pic is, is to look at it as a thumbnail. Or another way is too stand up and go like 2-3 m from the screen. You will have a way better look at he centering of the picture.

Best regards
    Alex

PS (I gave you the cn in the rejection mail, please note that there were other pics of the same reg. With the cn in the DB)

Comment

Thanks Alex, I haven't recevied the email yet. I hate it when I overlook things like the cn. I should take more care when uploading.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
        This pic is too low in the frame (just screened it a few min ago...). A good way to check how centered a pic is, is to look at it as a thumbnail. Or another way is too stand up and go like 2-3 m from the screen. You will have a way better look at he centering of the picture.

Best regards
        Alex

PS (I gave you the cn in the rejection mail, please note that there were other pics of the same reg. With the cn in the DB)

What a great bit of advice. Standing back a metre or two or looking at a thumbnail is by far the easiest way to make sure you have centered correctly.

Comment

What is best for centering a formation shot? I dont get may formations where they are realy close to each other. For example this is a quick edit which is easy to centre:

But how about this one, they are not going to fly these three aeroplanes any closer as they are all extremly rare and special aeroplanes:

I would be interested in some pointers on the second one.

Comment

the second one wouldn't be at Old Warden yesterday by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ralph
              the second one wouldn't be at Old Warden yesterday by any chance?
              You are correct, i dont think there is anywhere else in the world you would find a 3 ship consisting of a Bucker Bestmann, Focke Wulf Fw44 Stieglitz and a Klemm KL35. The first is from Little Gransden this year.

Where you there at Old Warden?

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes

Where you there at Old Warden?

Plenty of shots for ones personal collection with the odd nice one here & there.

The one you posted above, to get the exposure of the aircraft looking ok is going to blow the sky out too much, I had a play with a couple of RAWs last night the only half decent shots are on the ground. May be able to save the odd one.

Comment

To supply a possible answer to Ollies' question about centreing formations...I tend to draw a box around the formation and centre that. Seems to work well provided there's no smoke trails. They can present the need to modify the centreing of the picture due to smoke being an integral part of the subject.

For Ollies' three ship aerobatic formation I'd centre this box a little higher in the frame....

This smoke streaming Yak formation shows the need for the formation to be slightly lower in the frame with this being balanced by the smoke leading the eye down to the formation....

[photoid=5817453]

Comments ?......Discussion ?
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ralph

Plenty of shots for ones personal collection with the odd nice one here & there.

The one you posted above, to get the exposure of the aircraft looking ok is going to blow the sky out too much, I had a play with a couple of RAWs last night the only half decent shots are on the ground. May be able to save the odd one.
                    I think i have got some savable ones of the Formation, closer crops of ony 2 of the aircraft. I will start my edditing later today.

Brian:
                    I like that tighter crop but my post is a massive crop of the origional and i dont realy whant to crop any tighter than i had.

Comment

Brian:
                      I like that tighter crop but my post is a massive crop of the origional and i dont realy whant to crop any tighter than i had.
                      Ah, you misunderstand me Ollie. I don't mean crop to the red box, I mean use the red box to define the subject and centre the contents of the box.

This first pic shows how your original is a little low. The second shows the boxed subject raised a little to centre. The white band at the bottom shows how much it was raised.
                      Ignore the quality, these were modified in MS Paint.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Now your making sense. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X