• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetphotos.net screening..

Good evening Guys,

i'm a bit worried about the screening at JP.net. Maybe my skills have gone
    down the river after 1000+ uploads - or the screeners here might think this
    is A.net now - who knows.

Don't want to make trouble, but i'm considering leaving this site and stick to
    the rude one because it makes no difference in the meantime.

Out of my last 18 uploads, 13 where rejected - i couldn't believe my eyes, but ok - like already mentioned i might have lost all my skills regarding aviation photography over night, possible...

I will not bore you with all 13 rejections, just a few of them to make my
    point clear.

dark/underexposed

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1625936

A Fokker F-100 while banking in the midday sun @ 640mm focal length (Canon 100-400 at full zoom + 1.6 crop factor of Canon EOS 400D) couldn't be better exposed. And yes, that damn picture is sharp and not an every day catch in this position...

dark/underexposed

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1625933

Well, when the sun is hidden behind clouds that's how it looks like. Still rightly exposed - just without sun, but planes also fly in this weather conditions. Would love to see such a banking shot, with this sharpness, from this location, in this weather conditions..Can't find any... But of course i could
    alter the pic to some photoshop level it never looked like. Is that appreciated?

undersharpened (soft)

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1623975

Love it. No softness over here. This tiny little A319 is pin sharp...and not
    a taxi shot

So please tell me where Jetphotos.net is going, i will not bother you anymore if my work is not welcomed.

Best regards, Thomas

Thomas,

I would have to agree with the screeners that the first 2 are dark and underexposed. The A319 looks a little bit soft on the screen of my new laptop it does not need much in terms of sharpening but still could use a little bit more.

The biggest thing i have noticed is i will get complacent with my processing and i think that the photo is great then all it takes is a rejection to wake me up and figgure out that i need to pay attention more to the processing.

JMHO

Rob
    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Thomas.

For #1 and #2, the histogram on both is showing a definite decrease in the whites. Also the contrast has also been reduced a fair amount. With a simple level adjustment you could get these back. They definitely both looked dark even before looking at the histogram.

#3, well the sharpness changes over the length of the aircraft. The nose looks soft as does the tail. The middle section also is definitely not 'pin sharp' but its slightly better than the nose and tail.

The work of all photographers is always welcomed. There is an appeal process to avail yourself of, and the screeners are always here to help in this forum. Our accept/reject percentage has remained consistent for a fair while now, even with the increased amount of uploaders that we now have.

Maybe it's like Rob said, after a while you just need to stop and check what your doing just to make sure that something hasn't changed or complacency hasn't set in. Some people here use the edit and review method. Edit the pic, leave it for a couple of hours, then come back and evaluate it.

Your pics are always welcome, as well as the availability of the support system for the photographers in these forums. Us crew are always here to help.

Hope this helps
      Steve Brown

Comment

The screener looks at the finished product, theres no consideration for the situation you were in, weather etc...

Great shots thow Thomas!

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for your answers. Ok, now that the frustration part after the rejections
          has moved over, i'll try to stick to your hints and rework the shots taking into account what has been said.

Sorry for coming over a bit harsh, maybe i should revise some processing steps indeed. I will rework the OS F-100 and DL 767 and post the results here for
          you to comment.

Thank you, Thomas

Comment

The biggest thing i have noticed is i will get complacent with my processing and i think that the photo is great then all it takes is a rejection to wake me up and figgure out that i need to pay attention more to the processing.

Exactly what happened to me a while back. I thought to myself..."Hey, I seem to be getting good at this !".........

........then I got a reality slap !
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
            X