Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image editing

Hi
    I'm new here, and i'm not that experianced with photo editing. I've edited one photo here, and I was wondering if someone here would take a look at it, and maybe tell my what they think about it, what could have been done better and so on. The photo is of OY-VKB (MyTravel Scandinavia) at Trondheim Airport (ENVA).

What I have done with the photo is:
    - Sharpened with unsharp mask
    - Added more light and contrast
    - Increased the saturation a little bit

Do you think this is JP.net quality, or should I edit this one further?
    Thanks in advance

Horizion looks unlevel
    Looks underexsposed (Dark)
    Also looks soft.

JMHO

Rob
    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
      Horizion looks unlevel
      Looks underexsposed (Dark)
      Also looks soft.

JMHO

Rob
      Hello flyKSU,

well maybe a screener is the right person to answer your questions decently, but there are very helpful and detailed guidelines concerning photo processing on the web, for example the well-known one of Jid Webb which you can find e.g. within this thread:
      A two part question here.... Firstly, had this one rejected for too much/too little contrast. Which way do you think I should go ? Secondly, on this subject. The reason for my question above is to ask if we could not have a definitive "too much" or alternatively "too little" reason for rejection

In my opinion at the beginning one should try to process photos with the help of these guidelines to get satisfying results and to gain experience. But also after many processed photos sometimes you will have to start right from the beginning.
      By the way, I assume you are using a photo editing programme like Photoshop, don't you?

Concerning your pic I would assent to the view of Rob, but with some further editing you could try to solve the problemes.

Good luck, Kay

Comment

A pity the sky colour comes very close to the fuselage colour, but I'd leave the exposure as it is, we can live with that.

It really needs some sharpening, be careful not to over-process. The horizon needs about 1.5º CW rotation.

In addition the dimensions are 1024x642 px which do not fit within the 3:2 - 4:3 standard, at 1024 px width the height should be about 683 px. Leaving it this way will lead to a cropping rejection. If you're cropping, try cropping it a bit tighter, you'll see it gives the picture more body.

Further I'd like to mention that the border you applied will lead to a cropping or watermark rejection. Be sure to save your picture with less compression (In Photoshop use value 10 or higher).

We're looking forward to accept your first picture, and if you're not sure, just drop it on our forum and watch the replies.

Good luck! Simon
        Simon De Rudder
        JetPhotos Management Team

Comment

Thank you all for your help

I'm not using photoshop, but freeware like the Gimp and FastStone, which I think works for me right now. I haven't learned all the features yet, and I'm not so experianced when it comes to photographing. usualy my camera is set on "Auto"

I'l do a reupload of this one. I have now sharpened it some more, and increased the contrast between the plane and the sky just a little bit. Here's the result (Havent edited it to 4:3 scale yet, but I'l do when I try to upload to the database)

Hope I'm not being to pushy, but would anyone like to review another photo of mine. This photo is of SAS Scandinavian Airlines LN-RRA (the first one with Winglets) photographed at Kvernberget Airport (ENKB). I'm pretty satisfied with the sharpness of this one, but maby I'm wrong. Anyway, here's the photo:

Comment

Not too pushy at all.

The photo is backlit which has caused it to be overexposed. I would get a few more opinions before you decide to do with it but to be honest this one's (IMO) for the personal collection. Keep trying though it took me three years to get one accepted and after you get one accepted it will just come naturally. Practice, practice, practice!

-Chris

Comment

Just read the top portion of your post....what kind of camera do you have? If you can set it to a manual mode because you will get MUCH better pics. It takes more work to refine your skills but in the long run it will pay off.

-Chris

Comment

I'm using a Cannon EOS 400D Digital SLR-camera, and on the first photo I used a Cannon EF-S 18-55mm lens, and on the second one a Sigma DG Macro 70-300mm lens.

Yes, I can see the photo is backlit now. Is ther anything I can do to fix that in an image editing program?

I've got another example here, if you don't mind. I think this photo turned out OK after editing:

Comment

Hi flyKSU, There is nothing you can do to fix backlit, just don't shoot with sun in front of you. The last image you posted is just not centred well enough to do anything with. If you had some room to the side of the right engine could have been ok. Put it down to being part of the learning curve and try to centre better next time out.
                  Regards.
                  Mark

Comment

To me all the photos look off centre.

Comment

My Travel : Horizon still off on the second version
                      SAS 1 : backlit - no go
                      SAS 2 : bad composition / center - if you have cropped away something on the right a more centered crop can save it

Comment

This website offers an unique opportunity to have a look at the camera settings other photographers have chosen when taking their pic. I would strongly recommend studying from time to time the exif data (if not hidden) because it gives you an idea how to create a good 'basis material'. Of course the settings do not mean that there was a perfect picture and usually there is some postprocessing work to do, but as I said it can be very helpful to see what others were doing. I think most of us choose the exposure value and you will learn quickly what settings are the best for the most common weather conditions during the day (bright sunshine, faint sunshine, overcast sky). Just play around and you will see which way you have to go.

Greetings, Kay

Comment

Thanks everyone
                          The last photo is un fortunately not a crop, but a total picture. I was trying to get some kind of detail shot, so that only the fuselage and the engines was showing (have seen other examples of this kinds of photos somewere).

But I have a photo of the same plane taken a few seconds before the one above here, and on this one there's more space on the sides of the engines. This photo is a crop, but I think it looks better this way. Here it is (LN-BRK at ENVA)

Comment

Working...
                          X