Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversharpen

Hello Guys!

What do you think, where is that picture oversharpened? I desperatley looking for it, but can't find it...

THX for your help!

regards: Atika

Pretty much every edge

Comment

As Mark said almost everywhere, but very easily it can be seen between the fuselage and the tail or above the front door or the wing...

Hope this helps

Cheers
      Björn
      "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchet

Comment

THX for your help guys!

Cheers: Atika

Comment

Best sharpen method

May I ask one more thing? What do you guys think, which is the best method for sharpening? I've tried several methods in ps, like one big amount, or a few smaller ones, I've tried Intellisharpen, and so on, but I'm curious how the pro's doin'?

THX!

Comment

I don't know about the "pro's" but I generally use USM in stages of 50_0.3_0.

When I commence sharpening I create a background layer and sharpen until the picture is either satisfactory overall, at which point I'll erase the sky area to prevent grain / noise, or until jaggies appear.

As soon as jaggies appear I go back one step ( Ctrl + Z ), erase the sky and flatten the image.

I'll then create a new background layer, sharpen and erase any jaggies, flatten, create a new layer and so on. I rarely have to get as far as this second background layer though. Instead, I normally find myself using selective USM after the first overall sharpening process.

If the aircraft is surrounded by sky then I approach sharpening differently. I select the sky with the magic wand tool and then go to "select"....."inverse".
            This selects the aircraft only as the working area. Be careful though when doing this as sometimes the aircraft is not cleanly outlined by the magic wand tool, especially if there are parts of the aircraft adjacent to the sky that are a similar colour and contrast. Air Canada aircraft are famous for this problem because of their colour scheme.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Yes, it's very similar to the method I used to use. I sharpen the image with 50/0.4/0 usally four times on a duplicated layer, and then erasing the jaggies/halos, but: I used to resize the picture before the usm, to 1280. What do you think? It would be better to sharpen before resizing? How you doin'? And the transparency of the erasing tool? I used to set, to 60-70%.

Many THX!

Comment

Once again

Here's this one... I've tried to erase the halos/jaggies everywhere accurately, I don't know what could be the problem...

Maybe more eyes see more...

THX!

Cheers: Atika

Comment

there's still jaggy's everywhere. Also there seems to be a certain amount of noise present, possibly occurring due to the use of shadows/highlights tool or adding more brightness to the photo, or even a high ISO/over sharpening.

Comment

It's very interesting, 'cause, when i saw this picture at home, on a standard crt 19" monitor, it looked ok, but now i checked once again, at my office, in a tft, and it looks very noisy. My camera has ISO200 as standard (Nikon D50), and that picture is not sharpened more than the others, but i used the brightness tool..

Comment

To answer the resizing question...

My workflow is usually..

Level the picture.

Resize ( direct crop to 1200 x 800 ( sometimes 1200 x 900 )

Erase dust.

Set histogram levels.

Correct as required using varying methods >...exposure, shadow/highlight (either with shadow/highlight command or curves), contrast and brightness.

USM sharpening ( of subject aircraft only if on a sky background, otherwise, using a layer Overall USM and delete sky from layer.

Selective sharpening as required ( not always needed )

Save to .jpg.
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                      X