Overexposed Rejections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overexposed Rejections...

Hi guys, just wanted a little constructive critisism on 2 shots that were rejected for overexposure.

Here's the first one.... http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1642087 there are a couple of very small white patches caused by the Sun glinting on certain parts of the fuselage, but I thought the photo in general was ok?

And then this one .... http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1642093 I can't see any major overexposure issues, and I don't quite understand the 'bad processing' bit?

Cheers in advance!

The whites seem very blown out to me which points to over exposure.

Comment

One word...Histogram

Comment

Originally posted by Christobal65
        The whites seem very blown out to me which points to over exposure.
        Agreed. Just darken them a tad and you should be fine.

-Chris

Comment

No, that won´t help. Darkening the whites does not bring back detail and will mist likeyl only bring a "over proc" rejection due to a lack of contrast caused by this.

Could you plz post the originals so that we can see if they can be saved or not. Resized is pretty fine.
          My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
          My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
          ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Here are the two originals...
            http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2146/...d5c4c093_b.jpg

and http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/...e7e00864_b.jpg

With the Ryanair one, the histogram is just about ok on the original. However, when I adjust the RGB to get the correct white balance, this slightly blows the whites out.

Comment

IMO those seem to be a lost cause. I'm sure they could be saved but it would take more time in PS then i feel should be spend processing a photo. Over exposures tend to be hard to fix as once the white gets blown out theres usually not enough data to work with to save them without making the rest of the image look dark. If i were in a darkroom and this were black and white i might burn in that area when printing a little but that process in PS might get you a manipulation rejection.

Comment

Using curves you can sace the Saudi, the Air Berlin is a lost cause though. If you want sent me a PM and I explain you how to save the Saudi.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                  Using curves you can sace the Saudi, the Air Berlin is a lost cause though. If you want sent me a PM and I explain you how to save the Saudi.
                  Where'd you get Air Berlin from?

The 1st one is a lost cause and the Saudi is going to take some work but if you aren't doing anything this weekend then you MIGHT be able to save it. Will take a while though. Good luck!

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                    the Saudi is going to take some work but if you aren't doing anything this weekend then you MIGHT be able to save it.
                    Why? This took me about 2 minutes:

I know that this is far from perfect, but it should make clear that the pic can easily be saved using curves.

Comment

Very nice Edit Gianluca.

Cheers
                      Alex

PS : Go Sox ..... (I can't believe I'm saying that... lol I must be drunk...)

Comment

Thanks Alex!
                        Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
                        Go Sox ..... (I can't believe I'm saying that... lol I must be drunk...)
                        LOL!!

Comment

Many thanks for the information, very helpful! That edit looks good, I shall speak to seahawk nd try using curves to save it myself.

Comment

Sure meant Ryanair, if I see a 737 in that colors I always think of D-ABBN (whic hwore those colors too in the past)

Comment

I'll let the Photoshop wizkids figure out if/how to save these particular pics, but you can go a long way towards avoiding this problem in the future by changing your camera settings.

First of all, use a lens hood if you aren't already.

Second, set your ISO to 100.

Third, it looks like your shutter speed was 1/400 and your aperature was F10.0; in general, I find I get better pictures if I use a bigger aperature (smaller F number) and a faster shutter speed, like F5.6 and 1/1200 (I'm not sure if those exact values will work for you, it depends on the lighting and your camera).

Finally, as others mentioned, your camera has a histogram; use it! Ideally, you want the biggest bar right in the middle. But err on the left side (less light), because underexposure is much easier to fix in Photoshop than overexposure.

Comment

Working...
                              X