X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam642
    like F5.6 and 1/1200
    ???

5.6 is way too low and may result in overexposing pics too. As a general rule for most of the lenses F 8.0 and a shutter speed of around 800 is perfect under sunny condition.
    On my 70-200 I use 90% of the time an aperture between 8.0 and 11.0 and I have to bring down the exposure by 1/3 or 2/3 as my 20D very often overexposes pics.
    Regards
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by adam642
      But err on the left side (less light), because underexposure is much easier to fix in Photoshop than overexposure.
      That's not really true as trying to brighten up an underexposed pic very often leads to noise issues.

Comment

However youi can much more easily brighen up a pic that is 1/3 underexposed, then you can darken down a pic that is 1/3 overexposed, because a little underexposure does not loose details, while an overexposure does. In general this is sound advice, just try not to underexpose too heavily.

Comment

At lest with RAW-files: Expose to the right! Which means: try to expose to have the histogram at the right most possible position. There are far more informations in the highlights, than in the shadows. As a result: an overexposed photo can easily be corrected. I ALWAYS use ex.comp +1/3 or more on my 20D. Not sure, how my new toy, the 40D, will work.

Tip: just enter "expose to the right" into google!
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Must be a Canon thing.

Comment

Ah young Gerardo, I have just got a 40D myself this week. Poor Stefan will not understand the Canon pleasures
              As for exposure in the digital age, I always shoot raw and aim to slightly overexpose. This gives you far more detail in the dark areas without generating noise and although some areas may look blown out when you reduce the exposure the detail is not lost. THIS ONLY WORKS WITH RAW IMAGES !!!

Jid

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                Must be a Canon thing.
                Fortunately for non-Canonites, all cameras .in this world give their best results when used correctly

As mentioned, google "expose to the right".

One example: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                X