• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX-A343
    replied
    Originally posted by seahawk
    Must be a Canon thing.
    Fortunately for non-Canonites, all cameras .in this world give their best results when used correctly

As mentioned, google "expose to the right".

One example: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

Leave a comment:

• jid
    replied
    Ah young Gerardo, I have just got a 40D myself this week. Poor Stefan will not understand the Canon pleasures
    As for exposure in the digital age, I always shoot raw and aim to slightly overexpose. This gives you far more detail in the dark areas without generating noise and although some areas may look blown out when you reduce the exposure the detail is not lost. THIS ONLY WORKS WITH RAW IMAGES !!!

Jid

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Must be a Canon thing.

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied
    At lest with RAW-files: Expose to the right! Which means: try to expose to have the histogram at the right most possible position. There are far more informations in the highlights, than in the shadows. As a result: an overexposed photo can easily be corrected. I ALWAYS use ex.comp +1/3 or more on my 20D. Not sure, how my new toy, the 40D, will work.

Tip: just enter "expose to the right" into google!

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    However youi can much more easily brighen up a pic that is 1/3 underexposed, then you can darken down a pic that is 1/3 overexposed, because a little underexposure does not loose details, while an overexposure does. In general this is sound advice, just try not to underexpose too heavily.

Leave a comment:

• magic48
    replied
    Originally posted by adam642
    But err on the left side (less light), because underexposure is much easier to fix in Photoshop than overexposure.
    That's not really true as trying to brighten up an underexposed pic very often leads to noise issues.

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    Originally posted by adam642
    like F5.6 and 1/1200
    ???

5.6 is way too low and may result in overexposing pics too. As a general rule for most of the lenses F 8.0 and a shutter speed of around 800 is perfect under sunny condition.
    On my 70-200 I use 90% of the time an aperture between 8.0 and 11.0 and I have to bring down the exposure by 1/3 or 2/3 as my 20D very often overexposes pics.
    Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• adam642
    replied
    I'll let the Photoshop wizkids figure out if/how to save these particular pics, but you can go a long way towards avoiding this problem in the future by changing your camera settings.

First of all, use a lens hood if you aren't already.

Second, set your ISO to 100.

Third, it looks like your shutter speed was 1/400 and your aperature was F10.0; in general, I find I get better pictures if I use a bigger aperature (smaller F number) and a faster shutter speed, like F5.6 and 1/1200 (I'm not sure if those exact values will work for you, it depends on the lighting and your camera).

Finally, as others mentioned, your camera has a histogram; use it! Ideally, you want the biggest bar right in the middle. But err on the left side (less light), because underexposure is much easier to fix in Photoshop than overexposure.

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Sure meant Ryanair, if I see a 737 in that colors I always think of D-ABBN (whic hwore those colors too in the past)

Leave a comment:

• wannabe pilot
    replied
    Many thanks for the information, very helpful! That edit looks good, I shall speak to seahawk nd try using curves to save it myself.

Leave a comment:

• magic48
    replied
    Thanks Alex!
    Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
    Go Sox ..... (I can't believe I'm saying that... lol I must be drunk...)
    LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    Very nice Edit Gianluca.

Cheers
    Alex

PS : Go Sox ..... (I can't believe I'm saying that... lol I must be drunk...)

Leave a comment:

• magic48
    replied
    Originally posted by z740
    the Saudi is going to take some work but if you aren't doing anything this weekend then you MIGHT be able to save it.
    Why? This took me about 2 minutes:

I know that this is far from perfect, but it should make clear that the pic can easily be saved using curves.

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    Originally posted by seahawk
    Using curves you can sace the Saudi, the Air Berlin is a lost cause though. If you want sent me a PM and I explain you how to save the Saudi.
    Where'd you get Air Berlin from?

The 1st one is a lost cause and the Saudi is going to take some work but if you aren't doing anything this weekend then you MIGHT be able to save it. Will take a while though. Good luck!

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Using curves you can sace the Saudi, the Air Berlin is a lost cause though. If you want sent me a PM and I explain you how to save the Saudi.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X