Genre Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genre Selection

A question raised in another brought up what for me at least, seems to be an interesting point about the Genre tag. Rather than debate it there, which would have taken the thread off topic I decided to start a new one here.

The upload page requires the photographer to select either Civilian or military for the picture they are about to upload. As there are no guidance notes on this, my assumption has always been that military refers to any aircraft designed for military use and civilian for aircraft designed for civilian use. However it appears that this is being interpreted perhaps by the majority of users, to refer to the ownership of the aircraft, (ie if owned by the Military then select the Military tag if not select Civilian).

Again my assumption would be that the purpose of the tag is to enable searches to be run against either genre. Now for arguments sake, I think most people looking for military aircraft would expect an Avro Vulcan to come up as a military aircraft even though this type is obsolete and the only remaining examples are in private hands. Conversely someone searching for civil aircraft would be a little bemused to see a Vulcan or a Spitfire come up as their Genre, (in general terms at least) is clearly military.

In the absence of any official direction, maybe this comes down to the user's own understanding of what the word genre means. If it is simply a question of military versus non military ownership, then perhaps it might make things clearer if the word Genre were to be removed from the upload page and be replaced with a simple question such as, “Is the aircraft depicted, on a civilian or a military register” with the photographer ticking the appropriate box.
    Last edited by cja; 2007-11-12, 17:08.

Hi!

Partly, I must agree with you, anyway, I think military should be everything with registration that is not in Country Prefix+Registration format, but which has military registration.

For the case you're talking about, there is a warbird category I think.

That's my opinion.

Regards, Keishi

Comment

My impression was anything that carried a millitary serial whent in the Millitary category. But the problem there is that there are aircraft around that are clearly no longer owned by the millitary but the owner has not registerd them yet so there is no civil registration.

Also then the problem comes with aircraft in museums, they are not still owned by the millitary but are in a museum. They are unlikely ever to gain a civil registration but are civilian owned.

Comment

http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=38617

This has been disussed quiet a few times before. If you look for it you should be able to have a few good answers on the previous threads in the forum...

But to make it clear :

-Military plane flying and active for an Air Force = MILITARY

-Ex-military plane flying now in the airshow circuit with a civilian reg = CIVILIAN

-Military planes now in museum = MILITARY (unless it has a civilian reg, which means it's in flying condition). Note the owner should be the Air Force it has the paintscheme and NOT the name of the museum even if they own the plane.

Please note the special case of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) which is a military organisation flying warbirds. The planes still have their military reg and they clearly should be uploaded as MILITARY.

Now as a final note if you have a doubt please leave a message to the screeners explaining why you have chosen military or civilian.

Best regards

Alex

Comment

This is where i wish something could have been added to the database to allow people to see what categorys and Genres a photo is in.
          Would make things alot easier and cuase less rejections for categorys and genres.
          What would happen though if an aircraft in a museum was then registerd so it would change to civil?

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
            What would happen though if an aircraft in a museum was then registerd so it would change to civil?
            Not sure to understand what you mean here... any example ?

Comment

Heres an example

The Fighter Collection at Duxford have a Bristol Beaufighter under rebuild in its hanger. it sufferd an accident in the 1940s and was abandoned before being recoverd and restoration started. There are various airworthyness issues with the CAA so she has yet to be placed on the civil register.

Comment

Extremly rare case for which AJ and myself answered in the other forum. But again for such case the best bet is to leave a message to the screener explaining the problem and we'll do our best to correct it or signal the error in case you're wrong.

Regards
                Alex

PS: for your particular Beaufighter I would have uploaded it as "untitled" for owner and CIVILIAN genre with a note to the screeners because the lack of any marking. If uploaded as a RAAF plane, like AJ said MILITARY.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe

PS: for your particular Beaufighter I would have uploaded it as "untitled" for owner and CIVILIAN genre with a note to the screeners because the lack of any marking. If uploaded as a RAAF plane, like AJ said MILITARY.
                  Thank you for that. I do have another photo showing the rest of her and i will try again with that info.

Comment

Oillie, from reading the posts on this subject here and on the site Omar posted a link to I woud say that what counts is the date the photo was taken and the actual status of the aircraft at that time.

Edit
                    Ok already answered sorry.
                    Last edited by cja; 2007-11-12, 21:44. Reason: Already answered

Comment

Alex,

Thanks for your post and I have now read the thread to which you have provided a link.

The point that this issue does not cause many problems is well taken but the use of the word Genre clearly does cause some problems and a little careful rewording could surely prevent this without perhaps causing too much trouble to the developers. You have posted clear directions here in the forums about the correct use of the tag but can I respectfully suggest that this is added to the upload guidelines as well.

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

[QUOTE=cja]

The point that this issue does not cause many problems is well taken but the use of the word Genre clearly does cause some problems and a little careful rewording could surely prevent this without perhaps causing too much trouble to the developers. You have posted clear directions here in the forums about the correct use of the tag but can I respectfully suggest that this is added to the upload guidelines as well.
                        QUOTE]

I agree a little rewording on the site would make things easier for people, maybe something when you hold your mouse over the check box for millitary and civil.

Comment

With all due respect Ollie 99.9% of our uploaders have no problem with it, especially after consulting us via the appropriate thread or email.

Comment

Working...
                          X