Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP PLEASE: Lochtmans!

Hi!
    Well I'm not a professional photographer but i really do my best... I uploaded 4 pics all rejected in 10 minutes.... I appealed for 2 and i got two rejection answers.... one said to try again and do some changes... the other one i was told that was the worst pic the screener had ever seen that looking at the picture hurts his eyes.... My first thought was that i was to never ever upload again a photo.... but I don't mind.... we all started like this right?? So with the first pic, I think I have more chances to get accepted.

Here's the quote of the first email:
    the photo has been corrected for being soft and having been uploaded with the wrong categories. Please sharpen it up and re-upload using the correct category, in this case \"night shot\"

And here is the rejection reasons:

Reason(s) For Rejection:
    - Undersharpened (Soft)

- Categories wrong or missing

THANKS 4 THE HELP!
    Daniel.
    "Lochtmans"

Sorry, but it should be painfully obvious what's wrong with that picture. It's not in focus at all. Even if the categories were right it won't make it.

Comment

Hmm...well frankly, its very unleveled(crooked), its very blurry, and the back part of the plane is cut off...not to mention all the stuff infront of the plane distracting the viewer...the plane isn't in the center of the frame...

Appeals are only to be used when there is really nothing wrong with a pic and you want the screener to take a second look. The screeners have a very busy time, please tripple think before you hit the appeal with photos like this...which isn't anything personal, but I mean compare them to other photos you see on here...there is obviously a huge difference.

When I was younger my shots all looked like this...but I got better. Keep trying.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Please don't clog up the appeal queue with anymore stuff like that. If you repeatedly do it you will probably get banned.

Comment

I uploaded 4 pics all rejected in 10 minutes....
          I see some kind of "innuendo" there, but that's why the "hot photo" button exists. You uploaded all your photos as hot and they have been screened within 10 minutes, which is a damn fast screening IMO. Too bad, the photos are not even remotely meeting this sites standards.

But, with time and practice, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to upload photos. We all started there.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Take a look in our fairly substantial database to get an idea of what kind of levels of acceptance we have.

Comment

Dont take rejections to heart. We all get them and thats how we all improve. We all started somewhere and in time you will improve. Dont be afraid to ask alot of questions here, we are more than happy to help you.

For a start what camera are you using? Night shots are realy always going to be out of focus and blurred if they are handheld. Dont let this get you down though as if you take our advice and practise things will improve. We all remember the first time we got a photo accepted to the database.

And for the future hot photos is only for newsworthy photos, sometimes what is newsworthy is debatable but thats another problem again. Screening here normaly takes about 3 days although at the moment the que is very low. Well done screeners.

Comment

Daniel,

I know how easy it is to get disheartened, especially when your first uploads get rejected so dramatically. My best advice would be to avoid night shots until you can master a well lit, sunny day shot of an aircraft on the ground.

Look at shots of the type you are trying to get that are already in the database and compare your efforts to them.

Tell us what equipment you use and what image processing software you use, post a couple of examples here for advice before you upload them. There is a "Sticky" thread at the top of this forum where you can ask advice and believe me, you will get good advice here.

Stick initially to a long edge size of 1024 pixels in either 3x2 or 4x3 format. (1024px x 683px for 3x2 format and 1024px x 768px for 4x3 format. Setting your processing software to crop to one of these will avoid any crop size / format ratio rejections and will keep your pictures to a size that may hide some slight imperfections that would otherwise be glaringly obvious in a bigger size.

Now then. This next bit is designed to help you see what needs to be done and is not meant to be a personal attack, OK ?

The picture you show in this thread is indeed completely unacceptable for this site. No amount of sharpening is going to save this one as sharpening does not cure an out of focus or blurred due to camera movement picture.

Looking at the shadows it seems that you did not use a flash, not that I would recommend one anyway, but it shows that the picture was shot hand held without the use of a tripod. And there lies the first cure for night shots....use a tripod. Using a tripod will help to keep the picture level. A lot of tripods have a pair of spirit levels or a single domed bubble to help you get the camera straight. Up / down angle can be adjusted to suit the view that you have but side to side level is essential to avoid a horizon reject.

Use centre weighted metering to ensure that the metering system exposes for the aircraft and not other extraneous lighting.

Then......Practice, practice and more practice !!

As I said at the beginning...master good daylight shooting first. Practice, practice and more practice can only help improve your shots. Don't think, by the way, that more experienced photographers don't still practice. I well remember one guy at Heathrow who, when he wasn't shooting aircraft was practicing his panning on passing road vehicles....and he's a very senior member of the JP crew !
                Chin up ! With practice and help and advice here you'll soon be getting your first pictures in.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                  Use centre weighted metering to ensure that the metering system exposes for the aircraft and not other extraneous lighting.
                  Brian,
                  Is this applied to most of the aviation photos? or mainly night shots?
                  Thanks,
                  Mehdi.

Comment

Send a PM to Billy for tips on getting that critical first pic accepted.

Comment

Thanks Halfie.

Happy to help here.

I will go ahead and address the elephant in the room.

Don't overly 'photoshop' or alter your original subject. It's quite obvious that the subject of this photograph began as a Bell 47 helo and has been photoshopped into what is pictured here.

The screeners here are pretty sharp and will catch this EVERY time!

Good luck! And be sure to check out my 1 photo on JetPhotos.net below!!!
                      the friendly way
                      to fly

JETPHOTOS.NET

Comment

Shit !! I fell for it.....ROFL.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Billy
                          Not another Nikon shooter !!!

Comment

If it makes you any better even us screeners have photos rejected. were all human.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S
                              If it makes you any better even us screeners have photos rejected. were all human.
                              Hi everyone,

Sorry but in my case I have had 3 pics rejected and I still cannot see any comment from the screener on what was wrong, so practising is one thing, but practising on what??

How could I get some comments on the rejection reasons?

Thanks for your help.
                              named after the king

Comment

Working...
                              X