Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to consider when uploading

Hey all,

After recently joining the crew here at Jetphotos I thought that I would start a new discussion in regards to uploading pictures and things to consider before uploading. This may be mentioned somewhere else deep within the forums, but nothing better than starting a fresh!

During screening there are a few things that stand out, which I thought I'd address here, that will hopefully help some of the newer uploaders and/or even the ones stuggling to get that shot accepted.

1. Be as sure as you can about your photo being level. I have seen many great photos be rejected due to being out of level by up to 3 degrees at times. Leveling can be done by as simple as using another open window on the computer as reference! If the shot is a close up and you haven't really got anything to reference off, then try and go on what "feels" best for you. Chances are it could be fine!

2. Again, many great shots are just too soft. Each person will have their own way of sharpening a photo. I was once shown how to use the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop and have never looked back. Each will have their own settings and so on, but if you feel you are having a bit of trouble in what you may think is correct or not, a good place to start is looking at others in the database. Another good place of reference is the "Screener's Choice" section on the front page. Once you have a lot of "jaggered" lines on your photo, like airline titles, trailing edges of wings etc, then maybe your sharpening has been a little too much.

3. Dust spots. These are a problem for us who own a Digital SLR camera. For those of us that do, a quick check during editing, may save that great shot from a dreaded rejection. Equalisation in Photoshop is a good way to check for these.

If anyone else has any tips/tricks to add feel free to do so.

So anyway I hope this helps some folks out there. Keep all the great photos coming. There are some great photographers out there!

Happy snapping!

Wheres Brian with his brilliant layering system for removing dustspots?

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
      Similar to Step #5 in this process?

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
        Copy/pasted from a related thread:

1. Create a duplicate layer (background copy) .

2. Press F7 to bring up the layers window.

3. Make sure "background copy" is selected/highlighted.

4. Go to Image....Adjustments.....Equalise.

5. In the layers window select "Background" and close the layers window.

6. Use either the Heal or Clone tools and cover and click on any dust spots seen. You won't see anything happen at this stage.

7. Press F7, select/highlight "background copy" and with the cursor hovering over the highlighted words, right mouse click and select "delete layer". You will now see the fixed image.

8. Answer "yes".

9. Close the layers window.

Comment

Originally posted by magic48
          Copy/pasted from a related thread:

1. Create a duplicate layer (background copy) .

2. Press F7 to bring up the layers window.

3. Make sure "background copy" is selected/highlighted.

4. Go to Image....Adjustments.....Equalise.

5. In the layers window select "Background" and close the layers window.

6. Use either the Heal or Clone tools and cover and click on any dust spots seen. You won't see anything happen at this stage.

7. Press F7, select/highlight "background copy" and with the cursor hovering over the highlighted words, right mouse click and select "delete layer". You will now see the fixed image.

8. Answer "yes".

9. Close the layers window.
          In photoshop elements F7 closes and opens the layers window, i dont know about the other versions though.

Comment

There is one more important thing to consider. Upload only your best shots. You might be able to get 3 or more acceptable shots from the same aircraft on the same day, but if it is not a rare aircraft, then those will come back to you in the future in the form of similar rejections. It is very likely that only a few months later you might take a perfect shot of the same plane, but a mediocre pic from the first upload might mean that it won´t get into the db.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              There is one more important thing to consider. Upload only your best shots. You might be able to get 3 or more acceptable shots from the same aircraft on the same day, but if it is not a rare aircraft, then those will come back to you in the future in the form of similar rejections. It is very likely that only a few months later you might take a perfect shot of the same plane, but a mediocre pic from the first upload might mean that it won´t get into the db.
              Agree 100%. I got a couple situations like this. The only thing is to make sure which one is the best to upload.

If i have some of the same aircraft at the same location i probally will not capture it (them) again except there is some thing special.

Try to see your Pixs in other screen to see whether you should adjust the colour on your LCD. I have sometimes found that the Pixs look overexposure or underexposure on other screen rather than my own laptop.

Comment

Working...
              X