PS Workflow Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z740

I used the exact same settings as Jid used in the workflow.

BTW Jid, EXCELLENT workflow!!

-Chris
    Wait a minute....!

As far as I understand this, did you use the same amount of settings that Jid used on his photo ? Cause that's what probably will make the photo worse as his settings is based on his photo. So what you should do, is to not copy what he had used in the guide. Use your common sense and know what looks right for your photo. That's the key for your success when editing.(unless you mean something else about using the same exact same settings in the quote above)

I believe Jid can explain this better than I did..
    Help me out guys !
    Last edited by MaxPower; 2008-02-06, 03:47.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

The thing with a workflow is that it should be adaptive. As Max says you should not follow every step to the letter. Each image will require very slight tweaks to one or all of the step in the workflow.

BTW I have just about finished my new workflow which is a slightly more advanced version of my first. If you can't follow the first one don't bother looking at the second I would like comments if anyone would care to go through it as it has not been linked to my main site yet and I will probably make a few small changes to after feedback is received. It can be found at..

http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/Workflow2/

Jid

Comment

Originally posted by jid
        The thing with a workflow is that it should be adaptive. As Max says you should not follow every step to the letter. Each image will require very slight tweaks to one or all of the step in the workflow.

BTW I have just about finished my new workflow which is a slightly more advanced version of my first. If you can't follow the first one don't bother looking at the second I would like comments if anyone would care to go through it as it has not been linked to my main site yet and I will probably make a few small changes to after feedback is received. It can be found at..

http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/Workflow2/

Jid
        Hi Jid. I've just spend an hour reading and practicing with your workflow. it's a great job, thank you very much and of course I have some comments

First... it would be very useful for some people knows when it's better to do a crop in 3:2 or in 4:3 ratio. I think I know but you should clarify us in that sense.

Talking about sharpening... maybe the most difficult part to find a right value or setting (depends of every pic of course) when you oversharpen an area and you're going to erase some parts of the layer... which value one should use?... a 100%, 50% or it depends of the area of the aircraft?

finally, the add of "how to create an action" is great. I really like the workflow and I thinks it's pretty clear, and as you say... one must practice a lot. By the way, you are always learning. Tnaks a lot!!!! great job.

Fernando.

Ps. sorry.. forgot to mention that in thye first line says "febuary2008"

I'm goint to try again and I'll set in the mark when I have my first picture in DB following this worfklow.

Will I ever repeat this?

Comment

Jid,
          Great workflow.

I thought at first "Christ, this is going to take some time for each pic."

.....until I got to "How to create an action". !!

You just saved me a shedload of time.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

@ Jid, Very simple update of your workflow. It was nice to kinda update my editing methods (or should I say your methods).

Thank you for this workflow, Jid.
            Without it, many of us would still suck at editing pictures and would have probably have less photos on the database today (I'm speaking for those who are using Jids Workflow) No offense to other photographers who has their own/different workflow.

/John
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Hi everyone,

First of all, Jid, thanks very much for your time and effort with the workflow suggestions - they have really helped in achieving more control over my desired end-result.

I have a question (for anyone who can help) with a photo that I have been trying to fix for upload. First off though, let me confess that I am a Shadows/Highlights tool junkie. Also, most of the photos that I have taken in the past have turned out dark and the main reason given for the vast majority of my rejected uploads has been 'underexposure' and, seeing some of my photos, it is clear why.

I had a tendency to rely on the (unreliable) preview screen on my 10D (now 30D). These days I rely more on the histogram to get a better feel of how the photo should turn out and it has helped immensely.

However, there are still a few dark photos which I really like and want to fix. One such photo is this (post-edit):

I have edited this photo using the techniques as laid out on Jid's first workflow. All except Levels. With levels, I get the following result:

Of course, overall this is much better, except for the forward section of the fuselage, between the cabin and cockpit windows. As you can see, the reflection or glare is lost and I don't like that.

I did not move the slider all the way to the edge of the graph, but even a slight movement in that direction kills the reflection and gives me a blown up highlight (if I am using the correct terminology here). My question is this: Is there any way to increase the lights level without using the 'Brightness' tool in a way to preserve that reflection of light off the fuselage? To me it looks more natural that way.

Thanks,

Kam
              For the love of God, folks, don't try this at home.

Comment

Working...
              X