Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions with some rejections

Hi all,
    I had these two photos rejected because of dust spots, foreground clutter, and Underexposed. I am still pretty new to aviation photography so please excuse my ignorance in asking these questions.

1) In the head on shot it was rejected because of "dust spots" I don't see them but I guess they are evident so how do I get rid of them?

2) In the second shot it says foreground clutter however, If I was to eliminate the foreground and still keep the entire aircraft in shot wouldn't that make the aircraft not centered?

Also keep in mind that these photos were taken at around 6:00pm so the lighting is at a less then optimal level.

Thanks in advance for the help!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1784012

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1783964

i really can't see in the second pics any foreground clutter - perhaps a mistake
    --------------------------

Comment

In the second one there isn't any obstructing clutter visible, maybe a wrong rejection reason was ticked here, as Daniel said, I think it was a mistake.

For the dust spots in the first one, there are some in the sky. If you'll raise the contrast, they'll get clearly visible. To remove them use the "Healing Brush" or the cloning tool in Photoshop.

Comment

You can also equalize it to reveal the dust spots.
        The second one looks a bit high in the frame, IMHO.

Comment

Out of curiosity, were those shots taken through a chainlink fence?

Comment

No Jordan. Why do you ask?

Comment

Jordan has beaten me to it. On the second shot I have a feeling that the obstruction/clutter may refer to the possibility that you shot through a chain link fence and it has shown as a dark shadow on the left side. Either that or you have a barrel distortion problem with your lens.

The dust spot in the first picture is above the right wing above the gear.( right as we view it ).

To deal with dust spots in Photoshop follow this process.....

1/ Create a background layer.

2/ Press F7 key to bring up the layers window. You will see that you have a background copy and a background layer.

3/ Select the background copy layer, go to "Image"...."Adjustments"...."Equalise".

4/ Select the background layer and press the F7 key to hide the layer window.

5/ Using either the Heal tool ( good for spots in an open area ) or the Clone tool ( good for spots adjacent to an edge such as a wing..especially for the spot in your first picture ) set the size of the selection circle to be bigger than the biggest spot and click over it. Don't allow the circle to intrude over any edge or you'll clone that out as well as the spot. You won't see any effect yet.

6/ Press F7 to bring up the layers window. Select the "Background copy" layer. Right click and in the subsequent drop down, delete this layer.

The equalised image disappears and you are left with a healed version of your picture. Equalise this image just to check that all the spots are gone. Use Ctrl + Z to reverse the equalisation. While the image is equalised at this stage DO NOT PERFORM ANY OTHER PROCEDURE. If you do you won't be able to reverse the equalisation and will have to start all over again.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I agree with Brian, there looks like some shading on both sides of the second pic that is usually associated with taking the pic through a fence.

If it wasn't, what sort of camera are you using? There is definitely some shading issues there.

Comment

I guess it's a bit of vignetting. It's pretty strong though.

Comment

Thanks for the help every one. I use a Nikon D40x with a 70-300mm lens.

I think the dark around the edges could have resulted by me leaving the lens hood on with low light. I was running out to get the shot and may have forgotten to take it off. Would this have caused it? Again excuse my ignorance but I am new to airplane photography. I am used to taking photos of race cars in full light so lighting is usually not an issue.

Comment

.....and of course, the word I was looking for was vignetting...not barrel distortion !!

Ignore me, its my age.

Comment

The dark part on the right second reject looks like a part of a fence, but it could be that it is pure vignetting. You were shotting wide open and if you did some cropping it is possible to make vignetting look that way. As you say you are suing a 70-300 lens and a D40X I presume it is the Nikon AF-S 70-300VR ? I have not seen vignetting so bad on my example so far. (On D100 and D200) On the other hand you used 1/1000th sec exposure and full open aperture, which is a rathat unlucky combination. Shooting at 1/600 and with then lens at 7.1 or so would have solved the prolbem most likely.

Comment

I have the VR version of the 70-300 and find the "sweet spot" as far as sharpness is concerned to be around f9. I usually shoot on aperture priority at f9 - f10.

Comment

Working...
                          X