need help with compression rejections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with compression rejections

I have 3 recent rejections all for the same reason.

ME Tanker

NH Tanker

P-3

I'm not contesting the rejection, I'm trying to figure out how I get this compression on these but not my others? I can't think I did anything different on these.

Any advice if these can be saved, I work from the RAW file so I'm hoping they call can be saved.

Thanks as always!

Originally posted by Top_Gun

Any advice if these can be saved, I work from the RAW file so I'm hoping they call can be saved.
    I am sure they can if you have the raw files. Some basics to prevent compression. 1) Edit your images in one session. If you want to re-edit in a later sessions, best to save the image in a non-destructive format like TIFF.
    2) In the final step before uploading, save in Jpeg but be sure to do it in the highest quality. Never edit jpegs more than once, because this can cause compression artefacts.
    It depends on the software you use how much compression artifacts appear. Generally, when I screen, I see artifact appear in images of about 1024*768 that have a file size of about 200-220 pixels or less.

cheers, Pamela

Comment

thanks Pam, I go from Raw to Tiff, and then open the tiff in PSE5 and save as a PSD file. Then resize, USM and save to jpg.

I'll give these a try again from the raw file and make sure I'm saving from the highest setting.

Comment

Dave,

From your process the only plaace the compression could come from would be the save to JPG step. As long as you've got the quality as high as possible all should be fine.

But the pics sure are suffering from compression

Steve Brown

Comment

thanks Steve, I think what I've done is gone back to the PSD which isn't resized or sharpened and then re-edit for this site.

I edit my pics for my site first and thought this might save a step. Seeing I'm only uploading on my site as "save for web" maybe I'll switch my process!

Comment

Dave,

I was one of the screeners involved in these pics and I was really surprised to see such compression from you considering your previous upload qualities.

The file sizes seem to be a little on the small side which makes me wonder if you didn't save at the highest possible resolution. I also have this irritating thought scratching around my head that I've read somewhere that "Save for web" is an absolute no-no for JP standard pictures ??

You talk about PSE5. Do you mean PaintShop Elements 5 ? If so, isn't there a RAW plug-in to allow you to view your RAW files directly in PSE ? This would avoid the TIFF and PSD conversions as you could then process viewing the RAW file and make your first and only save to high quality .jpg ?
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
              Dave,

I was one of the screeners involved in these pics and I was really surprised to see such compression from you considering your previous upload qualities.

The file sizes seem to be a little on the small side which makes me wonder if you didn't save at the highest possible resolution. I also have this irritating thought scratching around my head that I've read somewhere that "Save for web" is an absolute no-no for JP standard pictures ??

You talk about PSE5. Do you mean PaintShop Elements 5 ? If so, isn't there a RAW plug-in to allow you to view your RAW files directly in PSE ? This would avoid the TIFF and PSD conversions as you could then process viewing the RAW file and make your first and only save to high quality .jpg ?
              Thanks Brian, my images that I upload aren't supposed to be saved for web. I've been keeping them in a different folder but maybe the software I use to edit(PhotoShop Elements) keeps the settings some how?

Normally I keep everything as a jpg and I thought is was at the highest setting. Somewhere I did something wrong as I've had more than my average of rejections lately.

I'll reset everything and try again on the one's that have a chance.

Just checked the file size of one of my tanker uploads,
              76kb
              updated one is 444kb

thanks again!

Comment

Yeah, Save for web is bad....PS optimise's for the smallest file size, but the trade off is quality.

Normal save as JPG is much better

Comment

Working...
                X