This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get it together

One Screener rejects for 'Under-exposed' and the very next shot taken five minutes later from the same location on a similar colored aircraft with the same lighting and the same camera settings gets accepted.

One Screener rejects for 'Bad-Processing' and another Screener accepts with the exact same processing.

One Screener rejects for 'Horizon' and the next Screener see's that it's level.

One Screener rejects for 'aircraft not centered' and another Screener see's the artistic value.

One Screener thinks it's a Military catagory and another doesn't.

One Screener see's it as 'Bad Motive' and 'Ordinary' while the next Screener doesn't.

Are we playing on different fields?

Take care,
    Brad

OK, thanks ..... No idea, what you're talking about, but hey ....
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Brad, Brad, Brad! Just chill mate. Most of the screeners are simple humans (one or two exceptions, they know who they are) and are subject to the same variances as you and I.

I, too, get frustrated with the seemingly illogical rejections and acceptances but when it comes down to it, you are always going to get these differences no matter what the criteria, standards or levels. You've enough pics in the DB now to realise that and me, I just say to myself, fine, you don't want my pic, your loss! Mutter under your breath about their parentage and move on.

Have a beer and forget it.

Andy

Comment

It's like when you go to the store for a loaf of bread: cashier #1 charges you $2.50 but on the way to your car it falls out of the bag and into a puddle of water ruining it - not the water: the bread. You go back inside the store for a replacement loaf. Now cashier #2 says the loaf of bread is $1.25 but on the way to your car you get attacked by a hoard of birds who eat your loaf of bread. You go back into the store for another loaf of bread and this time cashier #3 tells you, 'I'm sorry but I can't sell you a loaf of bread'. Now, at what time will the train arrive at it's final destination and how many simple humans are on board? You have five minutes: (Hint: it happens in waves which is the frustrating part. Slide rules are acceptable in calculating your answers.) ...and....begin...

Take care,
        Brad

Comment

So, I took the time to look at your latest rejects and accepts. And let me say it clearly many of those shots are very borderline. In all I see that the accepted ones are all a little brighter then the ones rejected for dark. All accepted ones have less visible halo, then the ones rejected for overproc.

Looking at your rejects, I see about 2-3 who might be worth an appeal.

Comment

And let me say it clearly many of those shots are very borderline.
            ...and that's where the variance of screeners views comes in. Some will lean to the no vote on a borderline, others will accept. I tend to accept but I do so with a "personally I didn't like that one" attitude. You need to remember that the JPnet screening ethos is to "Seek to accept, not to reject".

Overprocessed.......
            .....is one of the worst decisions we have to make. Where do we draw the line before rejecting ? If we religiously rejected every photo with the slightest hint of overprocessing then the database would be much smaller....and Chris Kilroy would have to change the corporate colour scheme to dark blue...if you get my rather cynical drift ?

Categories and genre ?.....
            .....Military or civilian ? Not really a difficult decision is it ?
            Night shot, warbird/vintage (with emphasis on the vintage rather than warbird) and sometimes small prop can be a bit difficult to decide on but you do have the option of leaving an explanatory comment to screeners.

Horizon....

...If it's obvious then there's no real argument but occasionally one screener will let a slight tilt through but another won't. The answer is to get it right in the first place really.

Motive...
            ....The absolute worst to judge and by its very description, a judgemental, individual thing. A motive rejection is guaranteed to have gone through the 2 out of 3 vote and will never be the subject of an instant rejection.

To get a 100% guaranteed, totally unarguable decision on a screening each picture uploaded would need to meet a strict parameter ruling that says that "This picture WILL look like this and WILL NOT be ANY different".
            Obviously this is not a viable option and all the time there are humans involved in screening there will be a difference of opinions and screening decisions.

EDIT. You may find this forum link useful.....http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=41981
            Last edited by brianw999; 2008-03-17, 12:25.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

While all the above are wonderful answers and absolutely helpful responses that I appreciate very much, just the time taken to type is a heartfelt gesture to me, they are all incorrect. The correct answer is: pink7mary times the square root of elephant divided by pi of 100mph at approximately 7:23pm. Knowing that, would anybody care to venture another answer?

Take care,
              Brad

Comment

Originally posted by SkyNevada
                The correct answer is: pink7mary times the square root of elephant divided by pi of 100mph at approximately 7:23pm. Knowing that, would anybody care to venture another answer?
                Ok, the correct answer is that all of the screeners and myself included are blind and completely inept at everything in life. What else do you want me to say?

Grow up and get real with the fact that things don't always swing your way.

Comment

Young man, you are incorrect: things always do or rather in your words, 'swing' my way. And I don't think you should be speaking for all screeners regarding their ineptness and vision. One more thing I'll have you know: I'm 5'9" and reached the end of my growing stage a long time ago. My Dad was 6'7" but my mother was only 4'6" - blame her for my lack of height!

Take care,
                  Brad

Comment

While all the above are wonderful answers and absolutely helpful responses that I appreciate very much, just the time taken to type is a heartfelt gesture to me, they are all incorrect. The correct answer is: pink7mary times the square root of elephant divided by pi of 100mph at approximately 7:23pm. Knowing that, would anybody care to venture another answer?
                    ...and that is just taking the piss out of those trying to help you.

My particular helpline in this thread is now closed.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

yes sir, Brad sir...3 bags full, anything else you want from our volunteer crew? cold beer? massage? liposuction appointment? how about a dose of harden up for good measure?

next trips
                      USA/DXB August.

Comment

We call it the appeal and whine process.

Comment

Serious mate, get a life. We screen in our own time, using our own money for internet, phone line, and power, all for you to have a winge at us.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyNevada
                            Young man, you are incorrect: things always do or rather in your words, 'swing' my way.
                            Please feel free to take your attitude elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X