Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlit

Hello everybody.

I am a newcomer to this brilliant forum and site, but am enjoying both posting and viewing your pics .

I recently posted a shot of the tail rotor of a helicopter. It was rejected. The reason given was 'backlit'. Now I understand the concept of backlit lighting ie. a/c is in shadow with bright background etc, but I feel my shot uses the side lit lighting to good effect ie. lighting the rotor housing and the rest of the a/c is not dark and indestinguishable.
    What do you think? Be tough if needs be as that is the way to learn.

http://jetphotos.net/img/1/8/9/7/51349_1206218798.jpg

Cheers

Duncan
    [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dalcross/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dalcross/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by 76drw; 2008-03-28, 13:17. Reason: getting link right

You've simply taken the photo more or less against the sun, if you take a look into the rotor, the shadows are facing to you. Additionally you can see that the side of the helicopter you show mainly on the photo is much darker then the the parts on the other side. These two aspects made the backlit rejection.

Comment

Most DSLR's have a little button on them which, when pressed, makes a flashgun pop up !!

Here is an absolutely classic example of when to use fill flash. The photographer can get close enough for even an on-camera flashgun to work well.

I used fill flash on this one....

[photoid=5860069]
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I see...

I see what you mean, understand and take onboard your comments. Will try to remember the fill flash for next time.

Thanks

Duncan

Comment

Or...You could just take the picture from the sunlit side perhaps?

Nice effort though in my opinion

Comment

Yes quite a beautiful shot in my opinion, sorry it got rejected just marginally on the edge of arty & backlight but hey u got to learn something new.
            And i love your sportingness & attitude Duncan, most newbies would scream foul & start expressing their discontent as if they're the only ones that matter, mate I learnt from this, Thanks.

Cheers

Comment

I like different angles. I'm surprised that those rotor blades look so small. They really seem ridiculously small compared to the helicopter. Funny.

Roel.

Comment

I'm surprised that those rotor blades look so small. They really seem ridiculously small compared to the helicopter. Funny.
                This type of tail rotor is known as a "Fenestron". I am given to understand that it relies on the tunnel effect produced as a result of the fan blades being enclosed. Their are various advantages to a Fenestron.

1. Because it's enclosed it has a high safety factor, being almost impossible to walk into.
                2. The small fan blades can rotate faster without the blade tips breaking the sound barrier.
                3. The enclosed blades are more efficient as there is a greatly reduced incidence of air spilling off of the end of the blade.
                4. The aircraft are generally quieter than conventional rotor aircraft, mostly because there is no "collision" of air spilling off of the ends of the main rotor interfering with the air spilling off of the tail rotor blades.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thankyou all for your comments and info, especially brianw999 for your rotor facts. It is indeed quieter than an equivalent chopper .

Cheers

Duncan

Comment

I too recently had a photo rejected under the backlit ruling, but alas this would have been rather hard to fill with flash..!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1849873

Shame - I rather liked the waving FO. Back to the airport I go...

Comment

Hey Stefan,

I really love the angle and Motive! It show the imense size! It is a shame it is backlit!

You need a VERY Big flash for that little bird, or I have a better idea:

You build your self a big mirrorwall behind you and lighten the aircraft with it and don`t listen to the complaining pilots, they have to understand it is for photography

Cheers
                      björn
                      "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchet

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                        This type of tail rotor is known as a "Fenestron".
                        Thanks Brian, I didn't know that!

Roel.

Comment

Originally posted by KLM772ER
                          You build your self a big mirrorwall behind you and lighten the aircraft with it and don`t listen to the complaining pilots, they have to understand it is for photography
                          Ha ha, well you can have a good laugh when you read about me being arrested for blinding pilots with my new device!!

Comment

You have good chances to get away without beeing arrested. I mean, the pilots didn't see you anyway
                            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                            X