Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidelines for cutting off aircraft parts

Hi all,
    As a new member to this site who is trying to get my first few photos in the DB (I currently only have 2 with about 8 rejections) I am interested to hear what the experienced members or screeners opinions are on what is acceptable for cropping.

So far I have been a bit reluctant to crop of wings etc even though I have seen many great photos on the DB which have. I recently had a helicopter rejected which had parts cropped off including the edges of the rotors and other bits. But overall I though it was a good shot. I didnt appeal as I accepted the screeners opinion.

Cheers
    Carl

Hi Carl,

i'd say it depends on the overall motive/angle. Either the crop looks randomly chosen or it looks like a well composed frame.

You may post your rejected helicopter shot to get a better idea of what went wrong.

Cheers, Thomas

Comment

I think there are many facts that come together if a photo is well cropped or simply cut off.

First of all, it's very important, to see, why is it cropped in that way, a clear motive should be visible. That means, the motive should show some details more than if you would show the aircraft comletely.

Second, it may not look loveless cut of, let's say, you're showing an aircraft, cut without a motive recognizable. Maybe leaving 2/3 of the aircraft reamaining on the photo, simply cut through, but no one knows why.

Third what can make a cut off rejection is, that you've maybe cut off wing tips, stabilizers, wheels or something else, that's missing in your photo, but it simply should be there.

For to help you much better, please post the links to you rejected photos, so we can give you some hint's on them what to do better.

Comment

Nothing to add to Thomas's and Peter's post! Thanks, guys!

cheerio
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for your input and advice. I will keep this in mind for the next time I crop.

I have looked at the one that got rejected, and can see why it did. I suppose the trick is, once you have mastered the correct crop in post photo processing, is to get the same results when taking the photo itself which is all the more harder.

Thanks again
          Carl

Comment

Carl,

don't know if this helps you. But here is a try to illustrate at least the basic
            guideline of right cropping (example of course overdone for better understanding). It just has to look right with the given angle of the plane.
            It's not possible to basically define the right cropping, as it depends on what
            you got on the original.

Cut-off:

And here the acceptable way of cropping in this case:

Comment

Working...
            X