Possible or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible or not?

After a particular crappy day a Manchester weather wise wonder if the pic below is good enough to get in the DB, 1st time shooting from this spot

phenominal shot!! It looks like you climbed the up the landing lights :-| lol

Speed is life... Altitude is life insurance

Comment

Slightly overexposed and oversharp (seeing as there are jaggies around the titles), but nothing that can't be fixed in PS.

Comment

It looks compressed as all hell to be totally honest. Or it has been run through neat image (or a similar) noise reduction program with not so great effect....?

Comment

No neat image, shot at iso 200, which I can normally get away with, thanks for the honesty thats what I wanted, guess it will go in the personal collection folder, thanks to all for your comments

Comment

Have another go with less sharpening. Did you shoot in RAW ? If you did, there is a very good chance of processing this one to get in. Could you post an unprocessed original ?

And why did you shoot at 200 ISO ? With a shutter speed of 1/500 and focal length of 115mm you could have dropped to ISO 100 and still got a shutter speed of 1/250 ?
            A lesson I learned some time ago when shooting in poor light/weather was to constantly check the light readings and keep ISO as low as possible conducive with a useable shutter speed.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2008-04-28, 09:56.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Nothing wrong with shooting at ISO 200....just means that any underexposure can be more of a problem.
              Bet the original was very underexposed and hence plenty of noise, and your need for NR.
              My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Hi Brian,

Yeah picture was shot in RAW, unprocessed JPG and RAW on my website, so you can have a look, any pointers greatly appreciated as always, yeah after I had taken these shots about 10 in total I changed my iso to 100 these were the 1st shots I took immediately after arriving at this location, much to my dismay I should add

Tony

Comment

I'd resize that one down to 1200 or 1024 pixels wide too. For those kinds of conditions, 1600 pixels is a bit much.

Comment

OK, lets try this for starters...

From the RAW original...

Level.
                    Crop to 1200x800.
                    Set histogram contrast in levels.
                    +18 contrast
                    4 x passes of overall USM at 100_0.2_0
                    1 X pass of selective USM on the registration (although I think that overdid it a bit)
                    In curves, a slight "S" to close the contrast gap and put some detail into the highlights.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks Brian, I think lately I have become guilty of overprocessing my pics again, this happened last year when I started writing action sets, I then spent some time away and didnt do any picture processing, then I submitted about 25 pics all processed by hand and had 1 or 2 rejected for things like wrong category and wrong reg not for my processing, so I started writing action scripts again to aid my workflow, but they have had the opposite effect...so back to basics again I think.....as always your help has been greatly appreciated

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X